Friday, January 14, 2011

Picture postcards from PA

Bryn Athyn post office where I mailed off Norman Jordan's papers. I typed up a note on New Directions' stationery wondering if I was being pretentious. I redid it three times cuz I wanted it to be perfect for this very distinguished man of letters.

Postmistress Maria sends off my letter after asking whether it contains anything hazardous. Yes, she does look like I woke her up from her afternoon nap.

Here's a challenge to my readers. Take a moment and notice the beauty surrounding you. You can look up from your computer now and if you're like me, your eyes should land on many beautiful things. Nothing in our purview should be unattractive.

Now, when you leave home, pretend you're taking a photography class. What would you shoot? That's why I stayed in the parking lot of the post office, so I could walk across the street - o thank you body of mine for returning me to the two-legged walking species again - and shot the glistening Pennypack Creek below.


The approach to the post office is nothing short of magnificent....


The one-car-only bridge...I got here first! I got here first!

Next I drive over to meet with my accountant.

I never can remember if he's on York Road or Easton so I call the office and ask. York York York York

Here's Joe telling me about his new counselor's license. He does marriage counseling and gives couples a compatibility test. Scott is taking it right now. Under protest.

I've known Joe for 15 years. We are intimate friends WHEN we see each other. So I'm sitting there asking about his children and his girlfriend all the while he's wearing this huge diamond on his hand. I mostly stare at people's faces. Have no idea what they're wearing. I relate this to my childhood when I had to gauge the mood of my mother.

Suddenly Joe is telling me he's married. He and Crista 'eloped' to Aruba with a few friends and family.

What do you buy a guy with everything?

Maybe a book of love poems.

4 comments:

  1. I like that one car bridge. If I had two cars, I would drive them both over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So your accountant is a marriage counselor too? Cool if I understood but maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. he's always professed a desire to help people. he has a deep understanding of people and is quite a nice guy. there's more to the story than meets the eye, of course. there always is.

    ReplyDelete