Monday, September 14, 2009

Summers End: A Poem

Thanks to my dear friend, Robert Howard Lokoff, for allowing me to read my poem to him. Private note to Rob: did you get my birthday postcard, Roberto?

SUMMERS END

they gather outside my window
in barely suppressed terror
shrieking to the trees
displaying themselves
for what I do not know
all they know of god
is man
we are often kind
when not in slaughter mode

the bluejay stops to rock his feathers blue
and lift a wing
as he submits
to the falling of leaves and
the end of his cover
o ambush me not
cries the virulent jay

cardinals cling to the branch
safe in the knowledge that
Beauty is the highest power
the snows of winter will only
enhance their
show-stopper red

and sparrows
remind us once again
that even the ordinary in nature
if feathered
can rival a majestic oak
with a flutter

with barely suppressed terror
I listen to the music of the birds
and await the first rush of falling leaves
trill on
trill on.

1 comment:

  1. i like how a summer's end doesn't seem so sad, but rather a positive outlook towards fall.

    ReplyDelete