Thursday, September 3, 2009

Now that the wedding's over...

I'm left with lots of food I need to use before I leave for the weekend.

What would YOU do with organic whole milk? We used this to make the enormous amounts of yogurt to go w/the granola that was the hit of the morning-after brunch at my mom's.

If you're me, you'll make your favorite dessert with it: creamy pudding. Only 2 kinds are any good. Jell-O cook n serve and Dr. Oetker. The latter is the better and is twice as expensive. It's found in the healthy food aisle since it contains organic everything. It's made in Ontario tho the company is based in Germany. I like the idea of its coming from Canada, like our cheaper pharmaceutical products we're not allowed to buy anymore, or like Cadbury Chocolate which purportedly practices fair monetary prices in selecting African growers for its chocolate.

I think so many American companies have forgotten about fair trade and equity and view the bottom line - the dollar and beholden to their stockholders - they don't even realize how corrupt they've become. This filters into all realms of society not just big corporations. Recently I read a newspaper article about the Bucks County Office of misBehavioral Health investigating its 2 top administrators for outrageous spending of the public's money. The 2 subsequently quit or were fired. I was shocked!

Since pudding is actually a fast food, you must be careful it doesn't taste artificial. Instant pudding certainly does, but the 5-minute cooking kind does not. I still have one carton of Dr. Oetker left, so if you're interested in having some - sans whipped cream - lemme know and I'll make a fresh batch.

Since Dan and Nicole are currently honeymooning in Rome where espresso is $5 per tiny cup, I went over to take care of the cats. "Bonjour! mes amies" I say upon entering & put the mail on the dining room table. I pull out a chair and put Thursdays junk mail on the chair.

Lemme see if the pudding has cooled yet.

Wow! only five more minutes & it'll be ready to eat. I had 4 bowls last nite. You don't wanna come home from the shore to find sour milk in your fridge.

The widow of my ex-husband stayed with me for the wedding. When she left, I said to her, Thanks for being such a great step-mom. She really liked hearing that. They're pursuing litigation on the wrongful death of her husband, the father of my children. You go into the hospital expecting to get better, not preparing to die.

After she left, Scott said to me, Donna is the kindest woman I've ever met. Is everybody in Oklahoma City that kind? I thought a moment and said, I suppose so.

Dyou think 5 minutes has elapsed?

Why would they be kind in Oklahoma? For one thing, they're not in such a big hurry. Oh, they drive real fast cuz they have huge distances to cover, but they know the meaning of a front porch and a patio and those huge big skies that come all the way down to the earth. It just makes you want to sit and watch. And, sure, if there's a small herd of cattle and a bull out beyond the fence, you can watch them amble along and nudge each other and chew on the green grass.

Dan and Nicole post their Roman findings on Spacebook, as a friend calls it. I'll give them a report that the cats are doing well. Green-eyed Chaz is lying on a couple of Nicole's shirts to remind him of his beloved.

No comments:

Post a Comment