Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Robinson Fredenthal: We remember him by his work

On the way to the Jersey shore, we pass Roger-Wilco liquor store. Out front is a huge spiral structure twisting toward the sky, a sculpture by Robinson Fredenthal of Philadelphia. Sadly, his obituary appeared in today's Inquirer, dead at age 69 of complications of Parkinson's disease.

I was surprised he lived that long. When I interviewed him for Art Matters I was 38 and he was early 40s. His disease was so bad he popped L-Dopa pills every 10 minutes to enable his limbs to do more or less what he wanted them to do. His movements were quick and jerky, uncontrolled. I spent a few days with him for my profile, accompanying him to the University of Penn campus he so loved, and where at least one of his enormous sculptures resided.

I also went w/him to his neurologist's office where his odd physical behavior commanded numerous looks in the waiting room. I remember watching a female patient who, in retrospect, exhibited tongue- and head-rolling behavior from tardive dyskinesia which people get who are on long-term antipsychotic meds.

Robin lived at the top of a very long stairway on top of a French restaurant he had never eaten at. He was too poor. His apartment was sparsely furnished. No rugs. He was very smart. Brilliant. My job gave me the opportunity of being around people smarter than me so I could learn. I didn't know a thing about art but I never mentioned this to anyone. When writing about Fredenthal, I left my kids with a babysitter and went to work in my mother's living room on a Smith-Corona electric typewriter. I wanted to do justice to his work so I began writing a little differently than I'd ever written before.

I envisioned the writing of Dante's Divine Comedy and how he had described the wonders of The Inferno..... short sentences. I did the same in my article on Fredenthal. It worked. The story came out very well. I had taken a leap in my writing.

About a year ago I began to wonder what had become of Robin. I did an Internet search and made a few phone calls. Couldn't find him. Then by chance I learned he was in the Inglis House for disabled people. "I will not come visit you in your plaid bathrobe," I had written in a poem I wrote about Fredenthal years ago.

During our time together we discussed creativity. I told him I envisioned it as visiting a springhouse below ground, the kind where you keep meat and cheeses, but that you never know when you'll be let in or not. I wrote a poem about that too and read it to him over the phone. He agreed that not all days would we be let inside.

Who lets us in?

One more thing. His father David Fredenthal (1914-1958) was an artist and war correspondent for Life magazine. I drove over to the Philadelphia Library, Northeast Regional Branch, where at the time (1984) they had volumes and volumes of bound Life mags available for the readers to look at. I found his dad's articles, photocopied some, and brought them for Robin to see.

When he and I parted after I'd written about him, I sent him a NY Times magazine cover of Stephen Hawking in a wheelchair. I wrote a balloon caption from Stephen reading: Dear Robin, The sky is the limit. - SH

4 comments:

  1. Helene Ryesky writes: Amazing, Dear Ruthie, how you can bang out a great thing in half an hour or so.

    Ruthie writes: Thanks, Helene, for notifying me of his obituary. For our Art Matters piece on Fredenthal, Helene was the photographer. Our mutual friend Burt Wasserman, who still writes for Art Matters, accompanied us on our journey up the stairs to meet Fredenthal.

    I told my daughter Sarah about Robin's death asking if she remembered him & she said the same thing I did, It's surprising he lived so long w/his disease. I also remember Robin used to roll his own cigarettes, a French brand in a turquoise package called something like Galloise.

    Together we looked at a book of architecture by his teacher Louis Kahn. "I know that house!" I shouted when Robin showed me a house in nearby Hatboro, PA. "That house is a block away from me," I said.

    That's how I learned about the famous Norman Fisher House on Mill Road in Hatboro. Our support group toured it several years ago before the movie My Architect was made about the amazing architect the late Louis Kahn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth,
    Thanks to Google, I just found this touching piece you wrote when Robin died. We were in Italy then. But do you know that there will soon be a Memorial Exhibition and a Celebration of Robin's life and work at the Architectural Archives at Penn?

    His amazing mother, Miriam, is coming down from VT and Ruthie, his sister, will also be there on Wed. November 18 at 6pm. We will celebrate Robin then and also get to see the wonderful short film that some residents of Inglis House made about him that he had seen and loved just the week or so before he died.
    There will be a small reception as well, which will be nice for his old pals (many from the La Terrasse days) to gather and visit with his family and each other.

    Bill Whitaker, who runs the Kroiz Gallery of the Architectural Archives at Penn, 220 S. 34th Street, Phila. PA 19104 (the ground floor of the Furness building) is also mounting the show Robin had a few years ago at the Phila. Airport for this event. That display will continue on for a good while after his Memorial event in the Gallery on Nov. 18, 2009 at 6:00pm

    You are most welcome to attend, Please respond to the Archives at 215 898-8323 or email: wwhitake@design.upenn.edu
    or contact me, since I am helping Bill and a few other old friends of Robin's to make this all happen. I am Julie Jensen Bryan

    Hope to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We too are old friends of Robin's who found this post through the wonders of Google.

    Fine post about an amazing human being; and thanks for mentioning the Disque Bleu cigarettes...but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for commenting. About 3 months ago, I went to the White Dog Cafe in the University Area of Philly, just around the corner from Robin's old apartment. The snow had begun to fall as I peeked inside the locked doorway of the apartment where he used to live. I imagined him standing at the top of the stairs, as he was the day I met him. I was accompanied by Doris Brandes, editor of Art Matters, and Burt Wasserman, art prof and writer. We all met, then they left and I was alone w/Robin for my lengthy interviews. With his customary humor and perceptiveness, Robin said that Wasserman was practically trembling w/obeissance (sp?) or obsequy from having met Robin, so awestruck by being in the presence of greatness!

    ReplyDelete