Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bonfire, Sat. nite, Oct. 19, 2013 - Great crowd - we didn't know half of em! - Poem: Sacred Ghosts at the Bonfire

Hello Bonfire Lovers! Nice to see y'all. People came in shifts. Many more didn't make the photo. I'd say we had about 40 people in Tamanend Park's "Old Carriage Pavilion."  

Heidi Ho! There's her daughter Cheyenne in the background and her g'daughter Talya. I used to watch the Warner Bros TV Show Cheyenne with Clint Walker.

Clint Walker was born in 1927, so he's - what? - 86 today.

Here's Caitlyn cutie pie who brought a couple of friends.

I LOVED Brandy's long hair!

Linda and Marla are bundled up for the windy weather. They brought a delicious salad.

Around 10 pm it started raining. It continued for maybe half an hour, but we were quite cozy under the roof. By the time we left, it had stopped, and the high moon guided us to our cars, well, the ones who were left, not very many, not very many.

Alice has a beautiful smile!

It was dark outside, of course.

I knew there must be deer peering at us.


On my way home down the backroads 5 minutes from home,  I drove slowly and saw five deer on someone's front lawn and another three on someone else's lawn.

Scares the bejeezus out of me b/c I'm afraid they'll leap in front of my car. Bright lights overwhelm their brains.
Hello Cassiday. Hop along with me. No one will understand this. Hopalong Cassidy was a TV show in the 1950s. 

Here's my offering for the BF:

 Shrimp and garbanzos. It's actually floating in tomato sauce. Courtesy of Nick Stellino, TV chef.

Also brought an assortment of Olives and Peanuts in the shell.

The S'mores were delicious!


"Helen," I said. "When should I stop eating the Hershey's chocolate?"

"I don't know," she said. "I have the same problem."

And then I remembered my peanuts, which is the reason I brought them.... a hedge against the Hershey.

This bird - a sparrow? - just hopped out of the birdhouse. Quite a lot of bird activity outside my house now. Maybe they're excited about the Eagles' game.

Helen and Larry Kirschner, hosts of the Bonfire, drove down early to avoid the traffic. My neighbor Bill just told me the Eagles lost to the Cowboys 17-3.

Couldn't decide which pic I liked better of Desiree and Jonathan, so I'll let you decide.

Their son, Jonathan, 5, was home with his little cousin, and a relative. We saw photos.
Rick, Caitlyn's dad, is an airplane pilot and teaches people how to pilot planes.

Rick, are you drinking that delicious hot chocolate the Kirschners brought?

Yes, Helen did put marshmallows in it. This insulin-dependent person with diabetes saw her add them and groaned.

But don't ya worry folks! I knew just what to do when I got home, as you shall see.


Shelly Quigley, who gives comedy performances, joked that she chased people away as soon as she began singing.

She's already on Facebook today.

Oooh! May I share a pic of my little Max Atticus Deming?



Where's Big Sister Grace?
Photo: Time for Chutes & Ladders!

Whenever we felt cold, we walked up to the fire. There's no heat like a real fire. Todd was the stoker and log-bringer.

Kevin brought a delicious dish of Cashew Chicken. I brought up the difficulty I have in remembering whether the name is Keith or Kevin.

Kevin drives for Bucks-County Transport. He asked what my thoughts were about their service.

Bucks County Transport Bus

Told Kevin that when I was a psychotherapist at Bristol-Bensalem Human Services, many of my clients would pull up in one of these buses. The therapy center was housed in the old Clymer Elementary School.

The mental health agency was closed down. I think it was due to Medicare fraud. But I'm really not sure. Remind me to ask former therapist Judy Diaz who now lives in Niwot, CO.

The center is now an upscale housing development!

I used to eat lunch at the Hulmeville Inn and eat grilled cheese sandwiches with a tomato while looking out the window and sipping on my coffee. One of the best jobs I ever had!

Soaking up the fire rays. Helen, on the left, gave me some good advice about my forthcoming 11-day trip to Paris and London.

Don't wear NEW SHOES there. Wear shoes that are already broken in.

To the Bonfire I wore a new shirt that had three cheese stains on it. She said to rub Fels Naphtha Soap on the shirt and it should come out.

Went over Scott's this morning and put his hand cleaner on the soiled garment, which I'll wash later on with all the other smoky clothes, even tho they smell delicious.

The three stains did come out! I salvaged my new shirt. I do have some purple dye on hand and was gonna dye it purple.

It was great to see Mark and a friend he brought. I talked to both of em extensively but can't remember her name. Mary Ann?

We'll call her Mary Ann. Someone introduced me as Ruth.

You're not Ruth Deming are you? asked Mary Ann.

I would toss things into the fire and watch them burn....

Did I ever tell you a cousin by marriage - adopted kid - was Cleveland's biggest arsonist? Arthur Deitz. Nice Jewish boy.


Mark's late father owned a deli - Lou's - here in Philly.

In Cleveland, we went to Corky and Lenny's which is still there!


I ate at Corky and Lenny's when Donna and I drove to Cleveland a few years ago.
This is me driving down the backstreets will do you no good.... very carefully so a deer wouldn't make me history. I ain't ready to go yet. Gotta publish some more short stories.

So I go over to Scott's this morning.

He lifts weights and exercises on the lower level of his house.

He built himself this trapeze, for want of a better word, out of PVC pipes, as seen on YouTube.

Clever boy!

Scott's exercise equipment. He does 'dips' and 'chinups' on this.

He changed his exercise routine since being diagnosed with protruding discs. Through the simple exercise of WALKING the discs went right back in where they belong.

A fellow worker at SEPTA has the same prob. But his discs protrude, so he's gotta keep on walking. Ever heard of the ballet The Red Shoes?

Went on my exercise bike for half an hour while watching "Because of You" with Loretta Young and Jeff Chandler.
Great film! Wouldn't be surprised if it's on YouTube in its entirety.
While picking up my unsatisfactory contact lenses at Lenscrafter at the Willow Grove mall, I got my nails polished right next door: $6 - with a $5 tip.

Getting ready for my trip. Hannah Bae, pharmacist, at the Giant, is getting all my medicine ready.

Are YOU ready for your next big challenge?

SACRED GHOSTS AT THE BONFIRE

They, too, made fires,
the ones before us
striding easily across
the Bering Strait
before quakes severed
mate from mate
pemmican
squash
lacrosse

Then the impasse with
the acquisitive European
who twisted their Christ
to do their bidding
Land ho!
Land's ours!

Some like William Penn
in his Quaker oatmeal hat
refused to torch them
We, attuned to our
Buddha, Jehovah,
Swedenborg, and
teary-eyed Jesus
meet beneath the
covered pavilion
at Tamanend Park.

Todd rolls open the
locked iron gates
of the fireplace
ashes of other fires
like fine talcum
fill the bottom

The master stoker
adds log after log
a fire lifts itself
toward the night sky
the curling smoke
a message no Lenape
will ever receive

Only the animals
deer with their wild innocent eyes
owls, woodchucks, sleepy sparrows call
Stay away!
Stay away!
The enemy is nigh.

We move toward the fire
drawn by an ancient dream
spun a million years ago
All else vanishes
the early evening
the rising of the moon
the anxiety of
being alive one minute
struck down the next
Wasn’t it Garofola’s best friend?
felled by a heart attack at forty-five?

Helen taps the Dutch oven
that belonged to her newly
departed mother also named Helen
I hold out my paper cup
as her mother’s ladle
scoops out the hot mulled cider
I drink as I gaze at the dark fields
my lips sticky
yearning for more. 

1 comment:

  1. His correct name is Keith - the Bucks County T'port driver - and he moved last year to NH to be with his family, He luvs it up there. He's on my postcard list.

    ReplyDelete