Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Awaiting Turkey Day - Compass proofs arrive - Sarah bakes and leaves by train for Nikki's

Here's Sarah and her chocolate-drizzled cheesecake in spring-form pan. She was up till 1 a.m. baking, while I did a lot of clean-up and worked on chapter three of my kidney memoir, the part about my 'incarceration' at then-Bldg. 16 of Montgomery County Emergency Service. Amazing that the more I wrote, the more the memories came back.

Sarah suggested I type standing up, a tip given to her by her massage therapist. Good to get the blood flowing again in your legs.

Sarah takes a break from baking. Like me, she likes operating in her PJs.

We decided to go for a walk up n down hilly Cowbell Road.

"These people moved out in the middle of the night," I told her, as we passed by a lovely, totally refurbished split-level house like me and Scott's - 6 steps up and 6 steps down. A neighbor told me they're in debt for hundreds of thousands of dollars. A sign on the front door says: Sheriff Sale.

No one knew!

Proof of the Compass. When the Compass comes out - which will be next week - it's one of the proudest moments of my life. The cover art - and back cover art - is a highlight. I want it to be really beautiful.

Drove over to Boggs Printing in Hatboro today to give the corrected proofs to Rene. I told her I loved the format. She said since I'm a new client, she was worried I might not like the photos and artwork she inserted.

"I love it!" I said. "You did a great job."

I went over the dozen or so corrections with her, just as she had found some corrections for me.

Boggs was open until 5 pm today, and I left there at 5:03. Then I drove over to Mark Amos at Bux-Mont Printers. He had made five 'sample copies' for me so I could show them off on Thanksgiving. Ada and Sarah both helped me proof them.

Last year we made 1,000 copies, but I had too many left over. This year, we'll make 775.

Dinner time! Sarah told me about roasting vegetables. I bought a whole package of brussel sprouts (note correct spelling), put them in a bowl and poured olive oil and sesame oil onto them, plus dried basil and freshly ground pepper. Absolutely delicious. Did you ever hear of anyone filling up on brussel sprouts b/c they're so good? Scott loved them.

Well, if you'll excuse me now I'm gonna get back to the Steve Jobs book. We're still only 19 and are gonna travel to India to meet the maharishi. I can't wait!!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Ruth.

    The proof looks very nice.

    You have reason to be proud!

    ReplyDelete