Thursday, May 8, 2014

Sad saga of my newest coffeemaker - my new bike - small writing success - Farewell Margie Deming

Don't return it, said Scott, about my newly purchased Hamilton Beach Coffeemaker.

I'm returning it, I said, it's defective.

You don't know how to work it, he insisted.

My sister Ellen was here today to help me make coffee. It came out the same as usual - as hot water - for some unfathomable reason, the coffee grounds refused to drip down.

It was used. I got it from Amazon, where the review said "Like New."

Then there's the story of my new bike.

I'm afraid of taking my old bike outside - I use it as a stationery bike - and ride it daily as any horsewoman would.

Outside I can't get on or off the damn thing easily, so, now that the nice weather is here, I want an easier-to-ride bike.

Off we went to Wheelwright In Abington, where owner Miko assisted us. Home we went, but I still had trouble getting on and off.

Miko had showed me how to do it. Tip the bike toward myself and grasp the brakes, so the bike don't move.

Still I had trouble, so Scott loaded it into his hatchbook and off we went.

This time one of the long-haired guys who worked there figured out how to lower the seat.


BTW, I've gotta finish this blog by 12:30 am cuz there's something on PBS I wanna watch. Can't remember what it is.

The lit journal Hippocampus posed a question. Write a lil essay about "I regretted immediately putting it in my mouth."

I wrote my response but TWO DAYS AFTER the deadline.

It got in anyway. Scroll down.

22 minutes to go.

*

My mother/law Margie Smith Deming died a couple of days ago at age 94. Here's her obit. She was extraordinarily active and made the world a better place by her deep involvement.

Here she is with my son Dan at Mom's house when Dan was a teenager.

So I wrote a poem about her upon her death and sent it to her son David Ball Deming. But I had used the wrong middle name for my ex, Millard "Mike" Deming. 

But my unconscious knew I'd made a mistake. While driving, I realized my mistake and I sent the corrected poem to David.

Margie had three sons:

Millard Grove Deming, who passed away several years ago
Joseph Chevalier Deming
David Ball Deming



A WOMAN TO LOVE

Joe fell for her
her jaw firm as
a prizefighter’s
her laugh made
him think of spawning
fine sons and he, Joe,
would rise to the top, like
cream from the moo-cows
on her Daddy’s farm
in Crockett.

Her firm Daddy ruled,
“Don’t touch the bottle, now,”
this, the Bible Belt in
Texas, if only Daddy knew
what became of his
oldest daughter,
married to the
town drunk. He knew.
Everyone knew. When
she knew, she took
the boys and left.  

When Joe came to
visit me and his son
Millard one summer
driving up from Arkansas
in that green Studebaker
that puffed like
a worn-out pair of lungs
I listened to his endless
stories, repeated
like a stuck record,
his mind already going
from something as easy
as beer. Recited Josephus,
Herodotus, too, as
we sat in the kitchen of our
row house where
he’d come in when the bars
closed at midnight, singing.

With her steel-gray hair
she did the laundry on the
day her son Joseph was wed.
I’ll always remember her
butterscotch brownies,
chews, she called them,
and that Chicken Divan
with curry powder kept
alive by my mom.

The last of the dynasty:
Bonnie was the first to go, her
kind and portly diabetic sister
Van, who found wristwatches
while driving, also passed. His
wife drove a schoolbus and
had a man’s voice. Aunt Mae
sewed a yellow quilt for my daughter’s
birth, gone holey with
time, but I peek at it
sometimes in the
dark closet.

There were six of them,
she and her 94 years of
history and good deeds
and faith in God swept
off the earth forever
like a dust-bunny under
the bed.

Who will be there to mourn?
Are any of her friends left?
Ruth White’s gone, how about
Eddie, her chum from school?
When she sails into Kingdom
Come, her daddy David Millard
Smith and her oldest son
that blue-eyed Millard
Grove Deming will swarm like
honeybees flying
toward their beloved.

-Ruth Zali Deming


No comments:

Post a Comment