Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cranberry Milkshake

I admit it. I was desperate last nite. Trapped at home with nothing to eat. And it was only 7 pm and I was starving. There was no fresh fruit. Not even a lone grape at the bottom of the bowl. A Jewish home without fruit? Oy veh. I tore open the cupboards. Thank goodness for Dan. When my grown son lived w/me he lived off canned goods and frozen foods. He'd left behind a bevy of unappetizing foods he refused to bring w/him to the home he bought. When you're starving like I was, nothing is unappetizing.

I carefully arranged my food to bring downstairs to my everything bed. The bed sits prominently in my family room, the room where the 5-panel gas heater is the main attraction in the wintertime. On my bed I watch movies and use my laptop, usually simultaneously. When serving food on said bed you must be very careful. My new Sleepy's Mattress does not have a rubber sheet atop the mattress like when we were kids & used to wet the bed. Enuresis it was called. We were all bedwetters. I didn't even know enough to be ashamed of it.

Okay, let's get back to my midnight snack. Please forget about the urine part.

Very carefully onto the bed I lowered my bowl full of canned cranberry sauce and another bowl of canned saltless mixed nuts (less than 50% peanuts, brags the Planters label).

Let's just say the snack was passable, filling. Delicious it was not. I was answering emails, popping the filberts and cashews as fast as I could. These canned mixed nuts by Planters are really not that good. Is it b/c they're unsalted? I add no salt to my diet.

So what does one do with a can of partially ate cranberry sauce? Let's toss that question out to the young man in the argyle sweater-vest. What dYOU think, sir? @$%@% Oh, dear, it's one of those unrepeatable responses.

Here's my Anytime Cranberry Milkshake I made this morning which was UNBELIEVABLY FANTASTIC. So good, in fact, that I'm having my second:

Into your blender put:

2 cups milk
1/3 can cranberry sauce
1 banana
lots of cinnamon

Give it a nice swirl. Then quaff, staring at all the tiny seeds coming your way.

When my son lived with me, he removed my old blender & replaced it with his new, inferior one. I didn't mind. All of his new appliances and gadgets found a friendly place to live in my kitchen. Dan is a modern man, after all. When he left, out came all my old beloved things including my Osterizer Blender. The bottom comes off for easy cleaning. In another post, I'll tell you the importance of this tool which significantly is as old as my daughter, Sarah, 34 years old.