Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bravo Tom Baiocco and daughter Regina: "doing wonderfully after kidney transplant"

Here's Tom, a short month ago, at my g'daughter Grace's first birthday party. Today he is a new man. His rapidly failing kidneys were replaced by one healthy kidney donated by daughter Regina, who flew from Baltimore to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, 45 minutes from where Tom and Kat live.

They stayed at a nearby hotel the nite before the operation. I talked to them several days prior. His main question was: Will he be in pain on the drive home from the hospital. Natch, he wouldn't be driving but he was worried his kidney might hurt.

I told him No, I wasn't in any pain during my 35-minute ride home. (Except for my then-excruciating sciatica, which, of course, is relieved by surgery.)

Called Barbara Toohey, who's the sister of Kat. Barb said she talked to Kat and both Tom and Regina are "doing wonderfully." Both should be released within a few days.

I ordered flowers from LeRoy Florist in Hatboro, PA, to be processed tomorrow. I remember how happy I felt each time flowers arrived.

Now Tom will be able to eat everything!

Early this morning, I was sitting on my living room couch desk, when I heard them come up my sidewalk.

Peeking thru the open door, I couldn't believe my eyes. YES! The Jehovah's Witnesses were back, 10 years to the day!

I couldn't stop smiling inside, but I didn't let them know. I let the guy talk for nearly five minutes b/c he was so darn handsome and I liked his shiny black bald head.

The white woman behind him said absolutely nothing but peeked in at me when I started refuting him.

All I remember saying was, No, I am not comforted by reading the Bible. No, I don't believe the Bible is true or that it offers hope.

Then he wanted to give me some literature.

In one condition, I said. If you let me take your picture for my blog.

He didn't know what a blog was.

A tool of Satan! I shouted, but did not say.

He wouldn't let me photograph him, so I thought, Well, maybe they'll walk down the street.

They did and you can see four of them to the left on the sidewalk. Be sure to click twice.

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy that everything went awesome! Tom is a wonderful man. I have never met his daughter but know she is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good news for Tom, though I don't know him. I got a nice laugh about your door-to-door visitors. My son once gave me an idea. He said to collect all sorts of junk mail and pamphlets and to keep them in a bag near the door. When these bestowers of religious literature come to the door, say, "No thanks, but here, let me give you something." That way you get to see their surprised faces and have a little joke with yourself, and also slowly get rid of your junk mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute. glad you're healing slowly. i have a nice big box and i open my mail over that, throwing junk mail inside. it gets recycled and our township makes money!

    ReplyDelete