Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Update on Hurrycane Sandy - Am staying at Donna's b/c power is out on Cowbell


Last nite my sister Donna spent the nite at my house b/c she was rightfully terrified her condo would flood.

It was untouched!

Tonite she's returning the favor and I'm staying here, typing on my laptop at her kitchen counter. Like me, she's into healthy eating

 "Can I eat anything I want?" I yelled upstairs. She was upstairs watching the news.

"Yes!"

I made a delicious salad. We both love raw mushrooms.

Who's that gorgeous redhead?

It's either Rita Hayworth or Rhonda Fleming.

Donna made me her specialty: sliced Parm cheese on Wasa crackers.

We arrived at her condo early this morning, surveying the damage as we drove thru Willow Grove and Hatboro.

We got less than 2 inches of rainfall, tho they called for 6 to 8.

Remember the tarp on the previous post?

Say Hello to neighbor Earl who put down the tarp

He's six foot six. Helped Our Donny put all her furniture back. It was up on stilts.


This is why 1,000 houses lost power. A tree down on Terwood Road, taking power lines down.


Do not enter. Go around to Davisville Road. Before coming to Donna's tonite, I ascertained that they're not yet working on getting rid of the tree.

Overwhelming amounts of work for PECO.

At the bottom of Cowbell Road a man from PECO is assigned Guard Duty on this house with a live wire on the roof. Neighbor Matt was walking and taking photos.

Here's one that Matt kindly sent me. I felt guilty about taking a pic of another person's misery.

Ain't that something!

I had huge branches and loads of twigs in my front and back yard. Those you don't photograph. You just pick em up and toss em in the little woods behind the house. The woods with the path that the school kids use, and that Sarah and Dan used when they lived with me.

Here's Matt with his frisky dog Louie. He tangles Matt up in the leash. I also met Benny, a huge German shepherd puppy (7 mos old) who is terrified of people.

Here's what's at stake in my fridge:

Selected items: a pot of chili, salad fixings, yogurt, Hershey's lo-calorie chocolate syrup, nuts and seeds of all kinds, mayo. Donna forced me to open the fridge to get her Parm cheese out, but othan that, I'm keeping it closed.

Scott and I watching a movie on my laptop. It has 3 hours of power. I used everything but 20 minutes.

I also turned on my gas fireplace in the basement to heat the house.

Opening shot of ARMY OF SHADOWS, a 1969 film that was re-released in 2006.

What a great film!

It's the story of the French Resistance during WW2, starting in 1942. These brave men and women know they may very well give their lives for freedom from the Nazis.

The Nazis liked American movies.

Brutality was rampant in this film, an adaptation of Joseph Kessel's 1943 book.

According to Wiki, the film
blends Kessel's own experiences as a member of the French Resistance with fictionalized versions of other Resistance members. Army of Shadows follows a small group of Resistance fighters as they move between safe houses, work with the Allied militaries, kill informers, and attempt to evade the capture and execution that they know is their most likely fate.[1] While portraying its characters as heroic, the film presents a bleak, unromantic view of the Resistance.[2][3]

Filmmaker was Jean-Pierre Grumbach - aka Jean-Pierre Melville (1917 - 1973, dead of a heart attack at 55.

Tap tap tap!

Who is it? I yelled.

The Mailman, he said. It's 8 o'clock pm.

I opened the door and there he was....Jimmy, an old family friend. Donna dreamt about him last nite! She had his baby, little Jimmy.

Okay, gotta go chat with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment