Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mike's hikes: Off to Woodmere Art Museum and Bruno's Restaurant

Vintage Sam Maitin

With flooding predicted for today, it was barely raining when we met at the library to carpool to the Woodmere Art Museum, housed in the original mansion of tycoon and art lover Charles Knox Smith.

I was so excited; first, to be with my friends - Mike, Jim, Clare, Judy and Ellen - and then to see the Sam Maitin special exhibit. When I worked at Art Matters, I interviewed Maitin (1936-2004) at his Philadelphia home and studio, so I've always been interested in his career.

Seeing his artwork was so inspiring. Made me wanna do my artwork again. Hmmm, how can I fit that into the context of New Directions?

On the way, we passed this art deco building I've always admired. Now I can gaze at it all I want in the photo. I really like the color of the traffic lite.

What the heck is this? It's certainly the colorful easily recognizable shapes of Maitin.

Ah, here's something we can get a grip on. Painted aluminum shapes. They'd look great in front of my house.

This handsome artist who lived in New Hope is part of their permanent collection. His name is something like John Fossinbos. Folinsbee. I just looked it up.

This is part of Knox Smith's original house.

While waiting for my hot pastrami on rye sandwich at Bruno's, I said hello to Jose and Ames.

My opening line was "I never saw fries that look like Ritz crackers."

Actually I spoke to the waitress later on about the fries cuz I was afraid they'd change the recipe. I wanna come back and eat them exactly as they appeared today and were delicious.

Of course I didn't have any. As I told Jose and Ames - two terrifically cute guys - when they offered me a bite, I can't eat taters until after April 1 when I have my kidney surgery.

They were very sympathetic and surprised, as is everyone, when I said my own two kidneys will remain inside and Sarah's will be added in my abdomen. No power struggles, pul-ease! Twould be nice if I got a silk-screened T-shirt that read Ask me why I have 3 kidneys.

Hmm, maybe I could order it at Wistaria Vintage, Jose's fine apparel shop at 6375 Germantown Ave.

Driving home the roads were so puddly that I almost didn't stop in to see Baby Grace. But when I came to the crossroads, I said, Be a man, Ruthie, be a man.

I could not resist buying these earrings in the gift shop of the Woodmere. $23. My new favorite earrings. We go thru phases, don't we?

Oh, Rob, sorry I missed your call. Can we talk during the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment