Friday, November 27, 2009

Road report on Black Friday

Just got home from driving Sarah and Ethan to the Jenkintown train station so they can catch a train back to NY. I drove mostly the backroads (won't do you no good, thanks Bruce)as I always do, esp. today to avoid the madness of Holiday Shopping. The Times is just waiting to tell us Retail Biz is up .09% this year.

So, we're passing La Pergola restaurant in J'town. Sarah is on the cellphone with my mother, saying g'bye, and I say Look how windy it is, when suddenly a lamppost falls boom to the ground. A woman driver in a long car had backed smack into it.

No sweat getting to the station. We left in plenty of time. I did not tell my dtr and Ethan that I couldn't remember how to get to the train station. I figgered it would come to me, which it did.

Earlier I asked Ethan if he wished to drive my car. It's fun for him since they don't need cars in NY. I also photographed him sitting in my car. Forgot to show them my new license plate holder. I don't like advertising other people's products so I got rid of the dealership's license plate holder and replaced it with a plain chrome one that I painted with red dots. It looks great!

My dtr/law Nicole loaded some awesome T'giving photos on Facebook. Are you the family photographer, Nicole? She also put on some videos of us all singing.

We are a family that loves having fun. We love food, music, sex, and the joy of being together.

Ethan thoughtfully brought copies of Beatles' lyrics for a singalong after dinner. He accompanied us on the piano as we sang loudly and w/great gusto tunes such as Hey Jude, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Eleanor Rigby. I marveled that the Beatles were only in the their 20s or 30s when they wrote the deep Eleanor Rigby about lonely people. What cosmic minds they had to consider all segments of society. Their songs contain numerous characters such as Dear Prudence.

Sarah noticed I replaced my Gettysburg photo montage with one from Barcelona. Hanging on the living room wall is a huge bag from La Pedrera, the apt house Gaudi designed, with a map of Barcelona tucked inside, and then ticket stubs from museums and the Metro taped to the bag, along with the see-thru blue plastic spoon from which I ate Italian gelato. The gelato, it should be noted, tasted richer and more flavorful than our ice cream.

Traffic was heavy. I so enjoy driving my new car. While I was in Europe for 14 days, I gave Scott a couple assignments since he was on strike for 4 days. One was to wash my car which was inexplicably full of mud. He not only washed it, but waxed it, and showed me how, after a rain, the raindrops form beautiful beads on the car.

Keep it short, Ruthie, keep it short.

Will do.

Life is meaningless if I'm not working on a major project. MY major project may be different than yours. The thing I'd like to do more than anything else is write a good poem. It's been awhile. I sure loved swimming in the salt water pool aboard our cruise ship. How could I work that into a poem?

No comments:

Post a Comment