Sunday, April 22, 2012

Cozy inside on a damp dreary day - Poem: Reflections Upon Turning 66

Watched Tavis Smiley online.

Scott and I ran errands this morning. Hadn't realized how cold it was. Since I'm getting my garden ready, Mary Mary Quite Contrary, I called around for red poppies. Only Russell Gardens, about 23 minutes away down Second Street Pike, had them.

Scott didn't get wet, but I did. He missed five days of work with a bad cold. Luckily I keep a rain hat from the Baltimore Aquarium in my trunk, so I wore that.

As we walked around, I wanted every single flower I saw. Scott has a spreading red cut-leaf maple in his front yard. At Russell Gardens, they had them ranging in price from $70 to $400, depending on variety and garden of origin. My jaw literally dropped when Scott showed me the $400 one.

photo from the Internet

Bought these flowers at Russell Gardens, on Route 232, past Tamanend Park.

They had a assortment of different-colored poppies. As you remember, my gardener cut down all my b'ful poppies, thinking they were weeds.

Also bot these unusual caladium, aka elephant ears. Sarah's late father sent her some caladium bulbs when she was a kid. When I plant these, they'll perpetuate the tradition and remind us of her late father.

My new kitchen door. Dave will be back on Monday. Lots more work to do.

Here are the wide steps he built for me. I asked him to put 'grippers' at the bottom of each step so I can see where I'm going. Don't wanna fall down like I did on my trip to DC. My knee is healing nicely as you can see.

In my below poem I refer to these warm winter socks that were given to me by either Natalie, my mom/law, or sister Donna.

Speaking of Donna, who lives by a tributary of the Pennypack Creek in a Hatboro condo, she's on "floodwatch" today. Sandbags are always outside her apartment. She said the kitchen floor is already wet.

There will probly be a buy-out of her section of the condo b/c of its unstoppable flooding.

My turning-66 poem was started back in January, but I never finished it. Helen Kirchner sent me an email that the Inquirer is having a poem contest, so I figured I try for it. Poem must be 20 lines or less.

The car flashing by in the below poem was neighbor Patrick's.



VARIATIONS ON A THEME OF TURNING SIXTY-SIX

66
Upside-down nines
look like they’re going places:
jonquils swaying in the breeze
Easter baskets heavy with eggs

I still run when I walk
plant poppies in my yard
sniff every lilac
while walking ‘round the block.

Stay, 66, stay.
Mindful of the passing time,
I store moments:
A silver car flashing by,
the good feel of socks on
a damp day.

Memorize these good things:
67 is on its way.

7 comments:

  1. Short and terrific and needless to say, a poem to which I relate a great deal. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short and terrific and needless to say, I poem I relate to a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. believe it or not, ripley, i slaved over this, kept shortening it, until i got it right. thanks again for reading all my shtuff.

    btw, i planted the caladium this morning - elephant ear - very damp and cold outside, but gotta get my fleurs in the ground.

    am leaving on a day trip tomro! bus trip to wolf sanctuary in northern PA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wolf Sanctuary..You go to a lot of neat places, Ruth. I remember when Jesse was in grade school, they brought two wolves to school for a presentation and since then, have always wanted to visit a wolf santuary. I do believe that you slaved over this poem. It takes a lot of work to keep it short and get it perfect and I think you did. I am going to print it out and put it up on my office wall. 66 is coming up for me in no time. That red maple is spectacular, by the way. It is pretty cold here and odd to wear winter coats again, since we went without coats for several great days. Today my friend, Pamela, is coming to visit from MA and having lunch. One day it would be great fun to see you in person too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes it got cold again today. about my trips, i get literature from a library in NE philly about their trips and also from hagey bus tours. they take lotsa planning in advance. par example, just made egg salad for tomro's trip since i have diabetes. gotta keep a stock of handy food and bring my drug paraphernalia. s

    have a great time w/Pamela! hopefully we'll meet before i write my next poem: 88

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my mom reached her mid-70's, I could hardly keep up with her on a walk - and I am regular walker. Then it all went to hell for her after that.

    Anyway, keep running and sniffing.

    Wolves are usually afraid of people, but not always. Not too long ago, a wolf killed a school teacher up here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just read your 'pune' post, bill. you have amazing endurance, like your mom, photographing on the train and then during the long walk outside.

    ReplyDelete