Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bowman's Wildflower Preserve - Forbidden Fruit

Where the heck was this taken? Did I really witness this vista today?

Why, it's Bowman's Tower. Foto from the Internet.

We bot tickets to get to the top in this ticket booth. No cotton candy. No funnel cake. No roller coasters. Just the phenomenon of getting a great view.

We took a small elevator - hi Ellen - and then...

we walked a narrow spiral staircase up to the top.

We gazed out onto beautiful Bucks County and the Delaware River. A small metal-latticed bridge spanned two banks.

The six of us had just come from eating our picnic lunches at the wildflower preserve. I brot my vegetarian chili which tasted delicious in the great outdoors. I'm a person who takes her breakfast and lunch out in the frontyard, either strolling along saying hi to my flowers, or sitting on the plastic loveseat soaking in the beauty of the spring.

For dessert Ada brought her famous choc chip cookies.

We went on an hour-long guided tour at Bowman's. Our guide Maggie pointed out wildflowers that we would've missed. Here she and Ada are examining a most unusual and lovely whatcha-ma-call-it.

Maggie points out this b'ful purple trillium.

Unimaginably lovely foliage. "It has a name. Everything has a name." (From The Miracle Worker."

On the way home I passed an accessible cluster of wisteria. In years past - well, at least five years past - I would help myself to public offerings of wisteria.

Well, here was another public offering. Well, sort of. It was located on a huge hidden estate on Edge Hill Road in Abington. I parked in a school yard across the street, then ran over (so I wouldn't be hit by a car), walked along the grassy edge and plucked a few fine blossoms of wisteria.

I had tugged and tugged upon a branch, so I could immerse it in water at home, but the branch was too thick, so I had to tear the blossoms off.

They sat patiently in my back seat until I got home. You can't imagine how excited I was to have my own sweet-smelling wisteria right on my windowsill.

No comments:

Post a Comment