Monday, April 5, 2010

David Remnick's New Book on Obama

I was reading the online NY Times when the ad kept popping up. Featured was a huge picture of Barack Obama. I will NOT read the ad, I thought. They're not gonna trick me with this huge photo of Obama and the great name of the latest bio of him -- The Bridge -- into clicking onto their stinking ad.

I clicked onto the ad. Why, it's a new book about Obama, I saw. Not only that, it was by Pulitzer-prizewinner David Remnick (don't worry, I've never heard of him either) and I figured, Well, it's only 10:30 in the evening, I finished all my work for today, what do I have to lose?

I clicked on Excerpt from Chapter One. Maybe it was the entire chapter one. Riveting! You've gotta read it. Magnificently written and going back to the 1960s and the Civil Right Movement, a long time coming.

Great descriptions of President Bill Clinton, who Toni Morrison calls 'our first black president' and also of Hillary and how her own dear Bill told her he possessed a knack for talking to blacks cuz he was southern-born and had black friends since childhood. He comforted her and said, Just do the best you can.

But could I read the entire 667-page tome? We'll see when I get a notice from my library where I've just reserved the book online.

So, how did you celebrate this glorious spring day?

Scott and I went for a long nature walk at Pennypack Trust. I wore my most comfortable hiking shoes which didn't get wet when we walked thru the fen.

Scott, I said, you know why the water doesn't drain well?

Because the earth is made of clay, so it won't absorb it. I learned that thother day on our nature walk with Mark!

Sometimes you're just filled with information that you can't regurgitate until something reminds you of it.

We also saw four strutting male turkeys, feathers all the way unfurled -- big thick gorgeous stiff feathers -- and they were all chasing after females who modestly would not look at them.

They looked dressed up in their ballgowns and tottered down the grassy fields in their dress shoes, descendants of the same turkeys who lived here during Injun days. I was living in Hungary and Russia biding my time waiting to be born. For this is my time. My time to be here on this earth. Don't wanna squander it. I wanna be present every moment that I can.

2 comments:

  1. I have not read this book, probably won't, but I did read "Into the Heart of the Sea" on the airplane.

    Very good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bill, i looked up this book online and read a few pages since it was a featured book of the Times. very well-written. thanks for the tip. were you in nantucket for whaling business? i never did find out.

    ReplyDelete