Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Readied myself for my big day tomorrow - This is My Brave - Poem: Elegy for an Unhappy Woman


 Got my toenails polished a lovely light pink at a place called Pearl Spa. My server, Tina, kept me under the foot dryer for nearly a hour, while I attempted to nap. Finally I cried out, When will I be done?

The owner looked at me. Oh, you're done.

Bad business!!!

I was worried that my sugar might go low, so I walked down to China Garden and had a great meal - Buddhist's Delight. Walter Straus and I used to go there.



While waiting for my meal, I got up and wandered out to the foyer, looked into the cooler - loads of cans of beer - and then into the vestibule where they had a gift shop. Once ages ago, I bought a couple of bowls.

My server, Michael, and the owner were very alarmed that I was wandering around. What?  I'm gonna sit there after sitting for an hour at the nail salon?

The real reason I was at the Staples shopping center was I needed a new ink cartridge. Friendly Dave helped me. That's what I actually call him

While I waited for him, I wandered down the aisles, enjoying looking at all the things having to do with communication.

Dave said his wife loves wandering in hardware stores. You know, don't you, I said, there's an old-fashion hardware store in Hatboro? He knew.

His wife also likes "feed stores" as she grew up in Texas.

Bucks County, PA, is horse country so she enjoys that.

***
Listen to Faure's Requiem here on YouTube.

At last night's New Directions' meeting we were shocked to hear of the suicide death of "Silvia."

Today, as one of her many former therapists, I went into my study, and found her "chart," green and scuffed. As always, I put a yellow Post-It note on the front with her name, a phone no. and the date we started therapy. Jan. 19, 2015 thru September 13, 2015.

I told her she never listened to any of my suggestions so there was no point in her seeing me.

ELEGY TO AN UNHAPPY WOMAN

"Silvia," you will not hear
hear Faure's poignant Requiem
playing for you, dead of an
overdose at some anonymous
hotel where you couldn't
be found.

As a favor to the man
who would never let you down
I accepted you as a therapy
client.

Our conversations took place
over the phone. You knew me
well, asking how Scott was,
and if I was writing any
short stories.

You were caring, funny, and
beautiful too. That, my dear,
was one side of you, the other
remained hidden like the dark
side of the moon.

When you moved to a less expensive
apartment, I suggested a volunteer
from Seniors Helping Seniors. You
had no knowledge I paid for
a woman to help you get your
things in order.

I congratulated you when you
held your head high and went
into the Hyundai dealership
to give the man hell who had
swindled you.

Your mother had finally unblocked
your phone calls, the two of you
could have been conjoined twins,
both forgetting that love once
dwelt between you.

In the end, love was nowhere
to be found. In your angry state
you cussed at everyone who came near,
o humanity, how could you?

As death came near, lying atop
a bedspread in the hotel, where you
spoke your last words to "Will,"
did you remember your happy days
as a child, your grandmother
reading the once-upon-a-time
stories to you?

What was the meaning of your life,
Silvia? Was it all in vain? Or did
those of us who knew you and hoped
for your deliverance find a new
meaning to our lives: Every child
who is born is precious under
the Eye of Heaven.

***
Am doing my exercises per Margaret Fitzpatrick, walking at least 20 minutes per day. Scott and I returned our library books, and then walked to A C Moore. He was looking at very sturdy wooden birdhouses. Then we went to Barnes n Noble. Ah, the smell alone!

We napped together during the news and I slept profoundly.

Goodbye Silvia goodbye!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment