Saturday, October 13, 2018

Just one Sniff - two poems, same name




JUST ONE SNIFF

Just before dawn
pulled open the drapes
and there it was

The rain pouring down.
I could smell the worms
come out of their holes,
the slick street with
water running down

Our brain's made mostly
of water. I stuck my
head back in, clumb
back in bed, and sipped
on my bedside wawa
captured from my
bathroom sink
in an azure blue
cup with water.




JUST ONE SNIFF

I was aboard the Arc
Lo, those many years ago,
Great-Grandpapa was not
to know his little
Abigail found the
stench intolerable.

Nauseating.

I would sink my
face, with boils
and filth, and
long black braids
into the thick fleece
of Nora, who accepted
me. Her curly wool
heaved as I wept
salty tears, praying
the dry land would
soon be ours.

***

  Photo taken years ago when The Fleischers drove us to the Pennysylvania State Fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment