Thursday, August 30, 2018

Part Two - Ocean City N J - to bury Pop's Ashes

POEM

FAREWELL DAVE SHERMAN

We drove to Ocean City, New Jersey,
to honor Scott's late father by tossing
his ashes into the ocean he so loved.

First the family met at the oddly fashioned
condo, huge, which, by stepping up
two steps, you'd find half a dozen rooms
built along the carpeted hallway.

Jews and one gentile, we noshed on trail mix,
ham and cheese, and glasses of freezing cold water.

Danny sat out back on the porch smoking a fragrant
cigar. His wife Debbie noticed a huge red moon
rising over the sand dunes. "Rayleigh rays"
cause the red color, same as the sunset.

Dave Sherman sat with us too.
He needed a large chair since his girth
kept increasing the older he got.

He did enjoy those meals at Angelo's in
Bucks County where his laughter tickled
all of us at table, including grandson
Matt, who loved his "Pop."

Ready, said Natalie from the porch.
Slender, white hair beneath a cap, we set out across
the thick sand, our feet sinking down
hoping they'd pop up again.

The stars guided us on our way.
Mars and Venus, and that dusty
red moon rising higher and higher.
When Scott was a boy, he called
the crescent moon "a banana moon."

Maxine, a sister, clad in a long black dress and
painted toenails was in her own
world till we arrived on the
shore, waves lapping its beloved shore.

Their dog Zoe galloped like a
small pony, getting her paws
wet, which along with the
claws of the seabirds,
made a lovely Picasso painting
on the sand.

Everyone said a few words. Natalie
went last as we sobbed within
for, quick as a wink, David
Sherman was no more.

***

Scott and I ate at Spadafora's, for the freshest fish ever!

Click here, then eat. Been around since 1981.

Early bird special was $14.50 including dessert.

Scott had tender salmon, I had crab cakes. Both of us ordered Baked Potatoes and plenty of sour cream and chives to spread on it.

I had rice pudding - no whipped cream - we're very proud of you Ruthie - then walked it off on the Boardwalk by the Drifters. Those doo wop bands - gone like the leaves falling off my tree in the front of the house.

***
Went for a dip in Watson Regency's pool.

I bought one thing that I couldn't eat.

A light green pair of beech shoes. Seafoam green. I'm wearing right now since today is Garbage Day. That's me carrying lots of stuff out. Gee, I'm glad I got rid of dat!

Walking in the sand, esp uphill, and was hard. Today new leg muscles hurt!

We also ate at the Starfish restaurant, all healthy food. Two blocks down. And the Ocean Beach Grille. I always schlepped along my blue blouse in case I was cold.

Note: Just throw it out when I'm dead.

And I don't plan on going any time soon.

Hey! was that the breakfast gong?


No comments:

Post a Comment