Monday, August 20, 2018

Footache - Columbo - Poems - Unsubscribe - Begone Jeffery Deaver - Diet Dr Pepper - Cucumber



Ouch! Left foot, doc. All was fine and then the pain was turned on like the sound of sirens going off in Fahrenheit 451. Must miss my work with the elderly today.

Scott and I couldn't agree on anything to watch. Then I found out Columbo is on YouTube. We watched and slept thru the first two episodes. Martin Milner and Jack Cassidy, the first episode was directed by Steven Spielberg, who lauded Peter Falk upon his death.

Please laud me while I'm still alive. Oh, look, anudder unknown personage wants to be my friend on FB. 

Watched the first scene of the film Fahrenheit 451 and ordered the movie, since I'm having a tuff time with the book for our book club. 

Looked up the cast and saw that Oskar Werner had died. Many films and TV series in his young life.

Werner was an alcoholic, which was a deciding factor in the decline of his health and career.

For some reason, the word ALCOHOLIC really saddened me. 

Wrote an article about Columbo for Patch which you can read here


UNSUBSCRIBE

Turner Classic Films thought I'd
like a beach blanket with Annette
and Frankie Avalon.

Unsubscribe!

All Posters sent me
dazzling posters for Scott's
upstairs bathroom. We'd
already bought seven
and there's no more room
on the walls.

Unsubscribe!

Alzheimer's sends
soliciations every
single day of the week.

I call and speak to
Stephanie. Please!
I plead. I'll donate in
my own sweet time.

And do. And envision
a darkling plain where
thousands, if not millions,
of elders walk around toothless
with blank eyes, an apocolypse
unlike anything what's his name
ever imagined.

BEGONE JEFFERY DEAVER

While making my morning eggs
my heart flutters to hear
the next chapter in Deaver's
Bone Collector.

Repetitious! Tiresome!
Carefully, without malice,
I remove you from the Sony player,
and press a button for
music. Classical's at
the ready.

Frederic Chopin's last work.
His passionate Cello and Piano Sonata
in G Minor.

How it soars with the loveliness
only Chopin can produce. See him
back in Poland, in white powdered wig
thinking of his latest lover's conquest
making his fingers fly across the keys
the hurrier to get to her.


***

DIET DR PEPPER

I hobbled into Zoe's Kitchen
and studied the menu. There was
Rem waiting on the outside. I went
over to the window and knocked.
Forcefully.

My Greek Salad was delicious. I'd
caught up on my sleep by watching
BBC true crime mysteries and told
Rem, a little too cheerfully, I'm afraid
that they finally found Carole Packman's
body. Her husband Elliot was incarcerated
tho her body was never found.

Simple. He built a fire in his back yard
and after having strangled her, set her
afire like burning books in Nazi Germany.

Rem remains firm about retiring to Las Vegas.
Will travel light. He's a great dining com-
panion, conversation never flags.

"Every Man Dies Alone" is a German-
translated book he gave me, bought for
a buck at the Abington library.

My favorite thing is to read the first line:
I patted the book. Good one, I said.

Rem did not clean his plate, so it was mine
to gnaw on, like a dog her bone. Moroccan
Chicken - flavorful - with that turmeric-
lime flavor rice that surprised you like a
home run caught at the Reading Phillies game,
where he goes.

He loved my Shah of Iran short story, now there's
a guy for the ages. After lunch, I hobbled to my
car, which I actually locked. Then I walked to
lower my blood sugar in the long parking lot.
People change their oil there! A condom lay
spent though I thought of a very clever
short story about it.

So much to do on this rainy day while our
cucumbers grow plump as a blimp and our
cherry tomatoes jingle on the vine
like Christmas carols.

Nearly forgot! Rem didn't finish his
Diet Dr Pepper. I removed the scabbard
and sipped gladly, happily, remembering
when at the agency, that was my beverage,
for the bestest job I ever did have.

***

CUCUMBER

I'm listening to The Gin Blossoms, on YouTube

"found out about you," so many great bands
from the 70s, the comments are like little bios
that could be made into a new band that comes
to our Keswick Theatre
A cucumber seed jumped from my mouth
to my keyboard, I plucked it off quick
Dying of thirst in the desert, the stranger
in sunglasses empties out a sack of
cucumbers. Thirst no more.


Image result for cucumber

No comments:

Post a Comment