Sunday, July 29, 2018

Dinner with the Demings - Poem: Let's Play Go Fish - Egg Rolls - Watching Mr Rogers

Went to Dan n Nicole's. Wrote a poem about it.

LET'S PLAY GO FISH

After a dinner of Chicken and Rice
and Strawberry Ice Cream with
Chocolate Sauce for this
recalcitrant diabetic

We sat on the carpeted floor
of the den. Max insisted we play
the new form of Go Fish, the old
one was too boring.

If a kid gets bored, there's hell
to pay. Each card had a picture
on the other side: butterfly, clown,
vehicles. Oh, I wish you could have
heard the way 6-year-old Max pro-
nounced vehicle.

As carefully as if he were singing
in the choir at Mount Carmel Church.

Cards were spread out on the floor
pictures as beautiful as tattoos. Max, I would
ask, do you have a fire engine?

Or, Daddy, do you have a helicopter?

Mommy and Grace cheered us on from the sidelines.

Something grabbed me about Max's face. Not his
fancy pajamas or laughter during our watching
of Train Crossings on YouTube. (The Greyhound
Bus and FedEx truck slid off to the side -
hilarious!)

A face at once young, at once ancient, at once
knowing, pensive, beautiful.

A face for all ages and epochs. A face
from The Odyssey or The Iliad.

***

Just got home from Scott's. He chose a great film to watch on Netflix called DECEIVED.

He slept thru most of it, but I only slept thru half.

At one point, I woke up with a loud scream.

Something in the film frightened me. Goldie Hahn starred in this 1991 film.

After I publish this blog, I'll read about what it was about. I think Roger Ebert was alive when he reviewed it. WE LOVE ROGER EBERT and Chaz too.

***
Nicole lent me the book SHARP OBJECTS. She directed Grace upstairs to find it.

I also brought over old pix of Dan and Sarah when they were little. Our last dog Triscuit was also in there. The story of Triscuit was published in Creative Nonfiction, 1998, I believe.

***
Thought I could make the Leeway Foundation deadline but I could not bc I needed info from one other person. Robin Franklin at the Giant.

Perhaps next year when we're in the Promised Land.

***
Gotta recreate a poem about my buddy Ray at Second Home. Now, if I type it on my downstairs computer it remains in single space. Not so with the upstairs. The damn thing refuses to single space.

Boooo!

Have I told you I'm reading THE WORLD AS IT IS, a Memoir of the White House Years, by Ben Rhodes. Three days overdue from the library. He's a brilliant writer and very candid.

Image result for ben rhodes book


Scott had surprised me by buying shrimp egg rolls from the Giant. Fresh! His belly's been bothering him, I told him to stop taking his supplements, and he was starving so he bought a total of 6 egg rolls from Helen.

Three were for me.

I ate all three while we watched movies.

***
Woke up this morning to Mr Rogers. What a treat! We visited a factory where they make fortune cookies.

"Here's my favorite part," said Mr. Rogers. It's when the machine inserted the fortune.

There was also a brief argument between King Friday and Mr Rogers. Feelings were hurt. Mr Rogers showed how to show compassion and and how to make up.


Image result for mr rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment