Monday, December 25, 2017

Photos of my 72nd birthday party - Part Two

 Scott's Train Set down his basement.


Max would run all around it making sure he saw everything, which is impossible. There are so many little details.

When he first began assembling it, Scott didn't have too much money. He was working at a couple of dealerships as a mechanic. After he got a job at SEPTA he began making good money so could invest in more trains, scenery, cars, and of course the whistle!

 Kamellia trying on Martha's cast-off gift, a huge straw hat. I persuaded her to take it home. I bought gifts for most of the guests, including towels from the Giant and Bath Bombs from Kremp Florist.
 Kamellia is a chess champ. She started playing at 3 or 4 in Ukraine.
 I loved this cake and will have a piece with the chocolate ice cream shortly.

Image result for mighty megasaur t rex

This was my gift for Max. From Aldi's. As was my gift for Grace, a huge kit of Princess items.

Mom-mom was sick so couldn't come to my party. 

 Image result for grant by ron chernow  My gift for Dan, a hardback, 30 percent off. As soon as I spotted it, scanned it and read reviews, I knew he'd like it.



This morning's egg breakfast with sliced honey ham and Ellen's Swedish Cookies and oatmeal chocolate chips.

This morning, Sarah, Ethan and I Ubered over to Mom and Ellen's. Mom joked that we were lucky he didn't murder us. Ellison was his name-o. 


 They said they'd be back in the spring, when we'd hang out. Tonight Ethan and The Bad Plus are playing at the Village Vanguard. After the Vanguard, Ethan will no longer be in the Bad Plus but already has many gigs for 2018, including a commission for a piano concerto.

We were all talking at once so I forgot to ask him who commissioned it.
 Ellen made Smoothies for breakfast.
Uber picked up the kids to drive them to Trenton, where they'd take the train to Brooklyn.

When I got back inside Ellen asked me what the driver looked like. He drove a Suburu.

A Drug Lord, I said.

 Thunder Paws by Bill Hess of Wasilla, Alaska. A lovely picture book of cats and Bill's large family and friends, I'm trying to give it away to someone who would appreciate it.

El Papa perhaps?



ROME — Pope Francis used his annual Christmas Day address on Monday to make clear his concern that serenity is sorely lacking at a time when the “winds of war” and an “outdated model of development” are taking a toll on humanity, society and the environment.

Addressing a crowd from a balcony at St. Peter’s Square in Vatican City, the pope delivered his Urbi et Orbi — Latin for “to the city and the world” — benediction, which read like a litany of global conflicts and problems.

Have you read my short story about him and his trusted advisor, Mouse?  Ethan liked it!

I asked Ethan if he missed playing the piano when he'd go on vacations.

Yes, he said.

 Can you see the nail in the middle of my tire?

 Is it better to publish a sideways portrait of Scott or none at all?


2 comments:

  1. From Rem --I enjoyed the Christmas lights pics and the poems, esp. the Aldi poem and the one about Daniel Ellsberg, who factored into CNN's the Seventies, the US vs. Richard Nixon. Currently I'm working on a poem about Stanislav Petrov, who died this year (I saw his obit in the Fortean Times). You don't know this guy, but he saved your life. He was on duty at a Soviet early warning station in September 1983, two weeks after the downing of KAL Flight 007 (when Cold War tensions were high), when the siren went off and a red screen popped up on his console, which indicated that Soviet satellites had detected ICBM launches in North Dakota. Petrov did nothing right away, which would have been stupid if the warning was real. Finally, though, he reached for the phone. He was supposed to notify someone in the high command, who probably would have ordered an immediate launch of Soviet missiles. Instead, he phoned his duty officer and complained that there was a systems malfunction, which he didn't know for a fact. He was neither reprimanded nor awarded, and there was a film done about him. Talk about unsung heroes.--Rem

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Tis better to publish sideways.

    ReplyDelete