Sunday, September 3, 2017

Writers Group - Poem: Reading Books in Odd Places - Reflections on a Rainy Day


Image result for saul bellow augie march

READING BOOKS IN ODD PLACES

The New York Times makes
reading suggestions. We
their devoted readers,
decide Shall I follow along or not?

Do people still read Saul Bellow's
Herzog? I don't mean
Herzegovina, though Bellow
had a taste for the Eastern Bloc.

I read parts of Herzog in the
empty stadium at Upper Moreland
High School, where my boy went.

I liked the view, the huge green
grassy fields, where no one but
a dog walker or two disturbed
my solitude.

So long ago.
Another world.
Now I read in many places.
Lying on the red couch
door open to the wide world
so the winds of the
neighborhood may enter
and bring me peace.
 On Saturday we had our Writers Group. Rem keeps his work in a Ziploc bag. Another radio interview with Randy.

In a black garbage bag, Rem kept his props. He loves his Diet Coke.



 Beatriz suggested we have a party at her house. B/c of her weakness she can't get around except for doctor's appts. Everyone would bring a favorite dish.
Years ago when I'd go to my Lambertville N J writers group, a holiday was coming up, perhaps the Fourth of July.

I drove over to Elaine Restifo's house to celebrate with her and a couple of her friends. Sadly, they've all died. Here's her obit.

She used to make delicious chili.

What is it about chili that makes it so good?

Here's my chili, enhanced with a can of sweet potato and a can of corn.


Beatriz, I asked. Can you fix my camera so the flash doesn't go off alla time?

She set it on automatic and suggested I go outside and see if the flash worked, which fortunately it did not.

A name came into Martha's head. She insisted on writing a story about it and so she did. She did it all in one gulp, last night, I believe, and it was about a cooking show. Minnie's Cooking Show which was finally successful and aired world wide, after some underhanded dealings.

That's right, Ruthie, stick out your belly as if you're....but look at this lovely blouse I found in the bottom of my drawer?

 Linda always lights up when she takes a photograph. Look at her fashionable necklace with all then keys on it. Careful you don't go near a magnet, Linda, or you'll be stuck fast. Gee, I think I gave her an idea for another story.

That woman is amazing. She wrote an amazing short story, the evening before our group,  called something like Darlene in the Garden.

Twas one of her sci-fi-horror-time travel works.

That very morning she found her mom sitting and trembling. She called 9 1 1 - they were there in a split second, she said - and her mom was transported to Abington hospital.

Excuse me....Abington Jefferson.

Nothing wrong with her except low blood pressure and she hadn't eaten breakfast. She's fine now. I wrote our group to tell them the good news.

Did I tell you I'm listening to author interviews on YT ?

Oh, the story I read was a five-pager called Balancing Act. One of the very worst things I've ever wrin. Am still getting used to my terrible new Canon printer.

AND STOP YELLING AT ME! I'm not stupid. It IS much harder to use than the old one.

Am drinking Yogi Egyptian Tea from this old cup of sister Donna's.

Gotta write my poem of the day for FB

Scuse me while I pour myself another spot of tea.

Was just in my kitchen, quite bright, despite the drizzle of rain and looked upon the backyard maple. When I moved in, there were three of em, now there's only one left.

REFLECTIONS ON A RAINY DAY

A sentient being?
Of course I am.
The gentle rain
caresses my
outer layer
the way yon
mother doe
nuzzles her spotted
Bambi's

The rain trails
up my inner heart
delicious as
pinot noir on a
sailing ship
clinking glasses
as each one
contemplates
throwing the other
overboard

And my green leaves
teetering
tottering
growing old
so old
they'll lose
their balance
and fall - plop! plop! -
onto the rain-
soaked ground below.



No comments:

Post a Comment