Monday, June 5, 2017

Goodbye Jimmy Piersall No. 37 with the Indians - A Knock on the Door Earlier today - Poem: Lying in a Hammock at My Son's House - Poem: Is that the rain I hear?

Jimmy Piersall, dead at 87.

Read about it here in The Times

  Our family is from Cleveland and I watched or listened to all the games when I was a kid. I read his Fear Strikes Out about five times and saw the movie.

***

On Netflix I was watching the film LUCID DREAM. It was long and drawn out, really a drag, but you know how it is. You've just GOT to know how it ends.

Looked it up and saw it was classified as sci-fi.

Was watching - where else? - but on my red couch, straining my neck, when there's a loud knock on the door with the knocker.

At first I thought it was my five-yr-old neighbor Zeke wanting to come in and browse around as if I were a lending library.

Wearing my white nightgown covered over with a blue shirt bc I was cold, I opened the door a crack.

I am not a fool.

I'm Sean, said the good-looking black guy and I'm earning my way thru college. Are you a heathy eater? Yes, I said.

Good, take a look at this book of healthy eating. I took it and then said I'm not buying anything from you.

Fine, he said. Good luck to you.

As he descended my steps, he asked, May I say a prayer for you?

No, I said and shut the door and locked it.

I was shocked when he asked about praying for me. Truthfully I was insulted. How dare he?

I posted the whole thing on FB and got an enormous response. 

People are so frigging paranoid and thought something terrible might have happened to me.

Was hoping I could rotate this picture to indicate Sean had thrown me on the ground but don't know how to.

One time I was really afraid of somebody.

My sister's mentally ill husband Billy had beaten her up. That night I slept at somebody's house cuz I was afraid he'd come after me.

I was the only person who said, Billy did it.

Clearly.

Like most victims of domestic violence, my sister did not press charges.

Now, I'm gonna try and write a poem now, so I'll put this on hold and listen to some mellow music. "I so like spring," by the late Linda Smith.

LYING IN A HAMMOCK AT MY SON'S HOUSE

My body swayed as if I were in a canoe
My son's back yard was a riot of greenery
Different shades, dark green like
the smoldering Atlantic

soft green like a katydid getting
ready to spring

I closed my eyes in ecstasy

The sky glided atop the vast
pine tree. Perhaps I could touch it
if I tried.

I'd given a tiny pine cone to Max
which his older sister Grace snatched away
I fetched more from the secret place they lay
and tucked one in my pocket

When I came home I put it on my
front window sill, which I view
like an altar every single day

These are the things I cherish
they all have meaning
and the red clay Buddha
smiles at me, giving me
his silent blessing.

***
Just wrote this...Tuesday morning. Got the idea about Garbo's hair from the film Ninotcha I watched w Scott on TCM

IS THAT THE RAIN I HEAR?

Twas indeed!
I stood at the front door
and watched as raindrops
fell as straight as
Garbo's hair

Everything enjoyed
a good sousing, not
exactly your Coors Beer
tumbling down

Yet elm, maple and
newly planted lime-
green caladium were
nourished by the
majesty of the rain.

My thoughts turned to
Saint Bernadette, the
miller's daughter
proclaimed a saint
and wondered if
the rain might
heal my many ills.

  Last photo of Garbo

No comments:

Post a Comment