Monday, June 13, 2016

The latest assault rifle massacre - this time in Orlando FL - Poems: Fireflies - Morning Light - Little Daddy

 My sister Lynn Greene sent me these three photos, including one in New Hope, where she lives.

Click to enlarge. 
 How important it is for folks to come together to mourn and show support that we will survive against the forces of ignorance, hatred and evil.
As you know, I write a poem a day for FB and I alluded to this atrocity in today's poem.

MORNING LIGHT

It's not Venice
we're talking about
or the Island of Paros

It's the peek-a-boo
sunshine slanting
between angled
roof between tulip
tree between two-
door black pick-up

Slashing its merciless
way toward earth
burning burning
burning
beautiful despite
unspeakable
suffering and
wounds that won't heal.


FIREFLIES


They bide their time
enjoying the sounds
of the summer winds

Though in truth the
suspense and longing
are nearly unbearable

Like Lana and Garfield
in The Postman Always
Rings Twice

Finally unleashed and
floating from the
starting gate

Their marvelous flashes
sting the night sky
Who will love me?
Who will have me?
Who will bear my kin?

Dim your lights so
they may find one
another, planetary
lights dappling our
mad mad world.

Image result for fireflies

Ran out tonight to buy an iced coffee at Dunkin Donuts. I was the only one in there. I wanted something with flavor. I asked what a Coolata was.

The Indian woman kept saying $3.00.

What is it? I would ask.

I did this three times.

Then I went over to where her husband stood taking orders from a car.

Like slush, he said.

Oh, says I, I don't want it. Gimme an iced coffee with flavor in it. Finally I decided on hazelnut as it didn't have any extra carbs in it.

So that's what I'm sipping on right now.

*
My CNF piece My Friend Frankie was just accepted by Kaleidoscope magazine for publication sometime in 2017 or 2018. This is a paying market.

Kaleidoscope deals with disabilities.

Guidelines for Submission
The material chosen for Kaleidoscope challenges and overcomes stereotypical, patronizing, and sentimental attitudes about disability.
We accept the work of writers with and without disabilities; however the work of a writer without a disability must focus on some aspect of disability. The criteria for good writing apply: effective technique, thought-provoking subject matter, and in general, a mature grasp of the art of story-telling. Writers should avoid using offensive language and always put the person before the disability.

*

With an August deadline - two months hence - I've still gotta write them 6 poems AND a piece of fiction. That's why I bought coffee for tonite.

BUT, I'll submit em elsewhere as who wants to wait so long? They do accept work that's been published elsewhere. 

I love the freedom of running out of the house at any hour of the night.


Here's my dad. Before I ordered my iced coffee just now I ran into FedEx/Kinko's - they changed the name - and asked em about getting dad's photo enlarged. A 5 x 7 is about two dollars.

Will do dat.


LITTLE DADDY

The photo is briefly
on loan from Mom, who
in her waning years
did not recognize the
childhood portrait
of her man.

I did being a
lifelong fan
of "Daddy."

My sisters ascribe
various magical
powers to Dad. He
helps Lynn merge
onto super highways.

Donna feels his presence
every day.

Me, I don't think of
him much, except when
I look in the mirror and
whisper

To life! You'd be shocked
at what's become of me -
your soul is my soul
but Bloody Marys are
not my drink.
Dad, here's what your 70-yo daughter looks like.

Scott and I are eating a scallops dinner over a bed of brown rice and quinoa. Dad, it took me 15 minutes thother night to remember the word quinoa.



No comments:

Post a Comment