Saturday, March 14, 2015

The one and only copy, so far, of the 2015 Compass - poem: Missing Blueberries

I'm listening to the most marvelous music off YouTube as I write a new poem.

Shhh! Don't disturb Marcy, she's reading my newest poem, "Missing Blueberries."

My 13 fans may enjoy, as do I, Richard Thompson doing Vincent Black Lightning, Sumer is a Cumin in..... Eric Clapton's concerts.... the exciting R L Burnside, a blues brother sunk in obscurity until the blues revival in the 1990s... The Stray Birds... mon dieu isn't music wonderful!!!



Discovered Richard Thompson years ago from John, a former client of mine at the now-defunct Bristol-Bensalem Human Services.

John brought in a tape recording of Thompson doing The Wall of Death. I was so thrilled.

Richard Thompson - 6-21-07 - Photo by Anthony Pepitone.jpg Thompson is a Muslim.

And now I'm listening to k d Lang sing "Hallelujah"  who looks GREAT in her white suit. Gosh I wish I were gay, so we could date. She'd love seeing me in my striped PJ outfit, which makes me feel like George Eliot.

Image result for k d lang

Yes, I often need accompaniment when I write, esp if it's the witching hour.

This Compass is 64 pages, 8 more than last year. You just keep writing until you're finished.

Possibly I'll have a party at my house to mail them across the universe.

Image result for space ship


Dyou think it's a weakness on my part that I've GOTTA have someone read my poems?




MISSING BLUEBERRIES

You wouldn’t happen to know
a Miss Regina Ziegler would you?
I’ve been studying her handwriting
to figure out her first name,
I’m no cryptographer so
can’t rightly tell if it’s Regina
or Rina, but it’s a mighty regal
“R” she writes, with the sureness
of a woman who loves poetry and
may indeed write some herself.

It was Miss Regina, as I’ll call her
who once owned my sole
book of poetry by Robert Frost,
the cover of which states
“The Pocket Book of
Robert Frost’s Poems.”

Leave it to me to check where
apostrophes go. They ought to
get it right, don’t you think,
the editors, all dead now, I’d imagine,
as is the poet himself.

Regina herself met a terrible end
and not meaning to keep you in
suspense, bear with me a little while
as I prattle on.

With a number two pencil
Miss Regina has lightly
underlined some phrases,
not many; like me, she probably
doesn’t believe in marring a book.

“Plain language and lack of
rhetoric,” is where her pencil
first touched the book. Then a
lapse of fifty pages until
pencil, resting in her mouth,
dared come down again
“For to be social, is to be
forgiving.”

And there we have it. But
half a dozen phrases underlined,
Miss Regina, a spinster school marm who
taught in the one-room school house,
a converted barn with only eleven
children, from blue-eyed Mary nearing
pubescence, to tough Frankie who
begged his daddy let him come and
learn instead of mowing hay and
minding the cows.

These were the children she never had.
Did she read them Frost? You bet she
did. They loved the one about the blueberries
“as big as the end of your thumb, real sky-blue and
ready to drum in the cavernous pail of the first
one to come!”

And that goodly Miss Regina had brought silver buckets
of blueberries and passed them around after class with
another bucket of cold milk she brought from a neighboring
farm. There were farms in those days. More than
you can count. Just like there are shops today
teetering on what used to be farm fields.

She also read them a few about the stars up above
in Heaven. Where we would all go when life has had
enough of us. The eleven children made sure they
wished upon a star every night, their little heads
pointed upward, hands clasped together in prayer
as their eyes skipped merrily across the sky.

Were those owls they heard hooting in the distance?
Was that the sounds of their families inside the
closed doors? She introduced them to the wonders
of the world. Would it ever leave them? On their
death beds would they think, “It’s been a wonderful
life?”

One winter it was too cold to walk the deep snow
to get to school. Miss Regina turned on her coal stove,
glanced at the glowing coals, black as the night sky,
warmed her shivering hands and went back to
bed to keep herself warm. She heard the explosion
first, a sound like a million church bells going off
at once.
Was that her last thought as she catapulted, quilts
and nightgown and all, from her straw mattress, floating up
up up in the air
like a bread rising in the oven?
Oh, they would miss her all right.
And I will miss her most of all for it’s
time to mourn her once again,
to think of Miss Regina and
eat some blueberry yogurt
in her memory. I like the kind
where the cream rises to the top.

1 comment:

  1. I must apologize profusely for being so lousy at keeping up with your blog. I have the best of intentions but find lately I just don't know where the time goes. As I write this now, I have been at the computer for hours and have food in the oven that needs tending. I must allocate some time to sit down and read as much as I can. I know I have missed some good stuff, and especially these poems I see which as you know, are my favorite things, and deserve some time and attention. So I will return soon, my friend. Sorry for a long absence,

    ReplyDelete