Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Kidney Letter to the Editor published in the Inquirer - Finished my Leeway Grant with the help of Popcorn and Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea - Poems roll in for Kiana, our barista

Since it was SEVEN DEGREES outside this morning and I had awakened before 8 am, I dressed up, went outside, warmed up my car, came back inside, and set my timer for 10 minutes.

I would pick up Scott from the Willow Grove Train Station, six minutes away.

  I rarely do this. The parking lot was full as I negotiated a place to park, and began to read my new book, 


of course, while I was waiting, I turned off the motor, which also shut off my new audio book

Image result for gilead marilynne robinson  It is marvelous! And b'fully read.

Here's my Letter to the Editor in the Inquirer.

ISSUE | HEALTH

Sharing in a way that's lifesaving

Kudos to Inquirer staff writer Samantha Melamed for her delightful story on the new play by Michael Hollinger that testifies to the complexities of having a kidney transplant ("Playwright Michael Hollinger on the comic aspects of a kidney tranplant," Jan. 15). I'm grateful for the article as it brings up the importance of being a kidney donor.

How many people know that 20 people die each day while awaiting a kidney? A donor is a true hero and will likely live a long and healthy life.

My daughter Sarah donated her kidney to me four years ago after I lost kidney function due to another medical issue. Today, both of us are the picture of health.

My advice to others is to do your research, think it over, and do what's right for you. We are our brother's keeper.

|Ruth Z. Deming, Willow Grove

*

With trepidation, I emailed in my Leeway "Art for Change Grant." It's due March 1. As grant proposals go, it was not terribly difficult.

AND, it spurred me on to write "David's Photo Album," about my late brother, David Richard Greenwold. I see his photo across the room from me now.

I had told Kiana, our coffee lady, I would write a poem about her and then I suggested to the Writers' Group that they may wish to do the same.

I CC'd my friend Ed Quinn on this and here's what he wrote:

Kiana, Adryn, Kathy;
Baristas, there are three. 
If I get my butt back over there ,
They can serve coffee to me. 
It has to be decaf, unfortunately. 
The rush of real coffee- a prohibited luxury. Looking forward to it. 

MARTHA wrote a doozy called something like Lady Espresso.

DONNA just sent something in called Frappacinoo. 

What fun!

While filling my pill box this morning, I had an idea for a true story.

Haven't started it yet, but it's tenatively called Kidney Killer and Other Pill I Have Known. I was sensually enjoying the feel of them and how utterly unnatural it is sliding these down our throats. 


No comments:

Post a Comment