Friday, February 20, 2015

Green Nails - but no ham - at Green Tea Nail Spa in Willow Grove

Image result for them by joyce carol oates   Image result for them by joyce carol oates    Just picked up "Them" by Joyce Carol Oates. Look how young JCO was when she wrote it back in 1969 and won the National Book Award for it. It's part of a trilogy.

Who knew? Wiki knew. Wiki knows all.

Lucy painted my nails this lovely subtle green around noon.

Sitting next to me was Cindy, who loved "Them." Her nails are a soft pink which will go well with the Floridian climate. She and her husband are driving there. Most of her children live there.

Cindy lives on nearby Ball Road. We couldn't believe it. Wonder if she knows Madeleine Bertis. Probly. George Schuler, who now lives at Ann's Choice, told me about Mrs. Bertis.

I have a couple of Ball Road stories I could tell Cindy if I ever see her again.

She asked me if I'd ever read Omensetter's Luck by Robert Coover.

Image result for robert coover
Coover, born in 1932, taught at Purdue University. He was Cindy's literature professor!

I am in awe! She's a retired English teacher at Hatboro-Horsham High School. Wonder if my niece Nikki Cartagena had her? She remembers all her students the way I remember my New Directions' members.

Lucy and Vicky don't like getting their pic taken. The orchids last a long time. Mine, from Produce Junction, die within a month.

This was a snack the manicurists were noshing on.

Lucy offered me one. These women are so kind. They will do anything for you, include picking up things on the floor I drop.

The snack was delicious, sorta like those Chinese noodles you find at Chinese restaurants like the nearby Mandarin Garden.

When I got home, my blood sugar had skyrocketed to 250. Normal is 80 to 120.

Read my other blog post about Green Tea Salon.

What's this?

After my nail polishing, I went to the Willow Grove Giant to shop and pick up my diabetes Novalog pens.

"How ya liking your internship?" I asked Matt.

"I love it," he said.

"Esp'ly," said pharmacist Hannah, "b/c he has us to work with."

I showed Elyse Bonner my Green Nails and she loved them.

Like me, she loves the cold weather.

Invigorating!

How many poems do you think I've written about my nails? Possibly as many as five, and now of course I'll be writing about my green nails.

Recently, a lit mag, whose name I can't remember, asked if they could use one of my Nail Polish poems.

What? I'm gonna say no?

And, now, if you'll excuse me, am gonna start "Them." Cindy told me other great Oates books are about Marilyn Monroe and the new book "Sacrifice" where she takes on Al Sharpton. Fearless. Novels pour out of this woman like steam out of tea.


LAVENDER NAILS
The green gel wowed us all
but stays on until
forcibly removed
that’s why I stopped at
Abington Nails
each salon as stylized
as Edith Head gowns
in MGM films
How ‘bout that
long black leather couch
a movie star couch
where starlets once got parts
in the days of
Double Indemnity
Scarlet Street and
Blond Ice.
 “Hello” said an
acrobatic man
named “Ozzy”
“like in Ozzie and Harriet”
his English fine for a
Chinaman.
He showed me a
card, like a many-colored
lollipop, and quickly, I
pointed out lavender,
which would match my
new lavender wall-to-wall
in my bedroom and drapes
dyed to match with two
plastic bottles of Rit
dye
Ozzy, who knows nothing
of the reruns of his namesake,
nor even the proper spelling,
paints my old Christmas green
nails with layers and layers of
lacquer to remove them
then secures them
with aluminum
foil. I close my eyes and
meditate.
May I have good health?
May the people I love prosper?
May my creativity increase?
The soft sounds of the salon
lull me into tranquility
as each client leaves
their name repeated
along with holiday wishes
They remember names!
Before I stopped into the salon
I went into Santander Bank on
the corner, where I stood
unacknowledged, behind the
teller “Lucia,” then clucked my
lips and fled.
“Ruth!” he interrupted.
“Ready!” I swiveled my
chair around and lay my
hands on the white-topped table.
My naked white hands were revealed,
small hands with green pop-up veins
like maps of the back roads of Ohio
The green gel was peeling off
green, the color of an unusual
gown by Edith Head, but lovely
nonetheless
we mustn’t all conform
To think that the twenty-first century
has brought spaceships to Mars
tiny telephones with photos of our loved ones
the mass exodus of Chinese and Vietnamese
to purchase useless buildings and
put nail salons on every corner
My lovely green gel was peeling off
but I had no time to mourn, as Ozzy scraped
it off, dead now, of no use to anyone
a mangled bicycle thrown out on the curb.
His sister Jen painted on the lavender gel.
A longer process than your normal polish
but this is the age of
spaceships to Mars
so I sat and let myself dream.
See me on the starlet’s couch?
Instead of watching a film noir
I’d rather be in one.
The mobster’s moll? No, they’d
just as soon kill me.
The rich woman in furs and pearls?
Yes, c’est moi, shirking my people
and running off with an
acrobatic Chinaman.

No comments:

Post a Comment