Friday, January 23, 2015

First draft of The Unlikely Psychiatrist - Poem: Chewing Gum and Coffee

Here it is nearly two o'clock in the a m.

In preparation of working on my short story, I typed up four of David Kime's poems. We talked together yesterday morning and I told him I'd use his poem "I Want Out" about being locked up in a psych ward.

But, he said, you don't like the profanity.

Well, I said, I am not going to use your original line..... but I'll change it to you're a 'bipolar screwup.' The other 'f' word can stay there cuz it's very realistic.

David, like me, uses the 'backs' of papers. He wrote on the back of a hand-wrin letter which contained the lines, "We just got back from Joanie's blood draw for her Closeril [sic]. She gets it once a month and rewards herself with a coffee and two Dove dark chocolate bars.

So what dyou think Ruth Deming did when she went shopping tonite at the Giant. Here's what she bought
   It's quite good and is surprisingly low in carbs. That is, if you eat ONE carton, which I did. I hid the other three in the vegetable compartment with the peppers for our Saturday nite pizza.

 I watched the entire Charlie Rose show, with Cyrus Vance, district attorney for New York City. It was fascinating. Charlie mentioned that he himself is a non-practicing lawyer. I was on my bike for about 25 minutes as I watched.

Last nite I fell asleep watching Bill and Melinda Gates. She is a beautiful woman. But, man, are they boring, esp. billionaire Bill.

Oh, Bill! I didn't realize you were gonna fund New Directions for life. I was only joking about what I said.

The devil has taken me over. I am now reading four books at a time, including

It's one of Tom Toohey's crime thrillers. I had started it, didn't like it, and returned it to my pile on my dresser, but then gave it another chance.

It's MARVELOUS!!!

Listen to what happened while I was making a delicious soup in the kitchen: a vegetable soup with a can of crushed tomatoes.

  I'm listening to the very last disk - no. 11 - and the damn thing starts skipping. I only have 20 minutes left and the entire thing is inaudible.

Grrrrrr!

You will herewith discover what I did this evening.


List of ingredients in sugarless Juicy Fruit

Sorbitol, Maltitol, Gum Base, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Acacia, Mannitol; Less Than 2% of: Glycerol, Soy Lecithin, Aspartame, Color (Titanium Dioxide), Acesulfame K, Carnauba Wax, BHT (to Maintain Freshness)

Would YOU allow this down your own sweet esophagus? 

Did some research while working on my story. This was a very useful website. The website of a real psychiatrist. 


CHEWING GUM AND SIPPING COFFEE

Chewing gum, I used to think
is for people fearing bad breath
Mailman Ken is a chewer and
now I’m giving it a try.

When I write my short stories
I got in the habit of eating
bowls full of pretzels and nuts
delicious but they swell the
belly to insane proportions

Tap tap tap.
It’s ludicrously large
on this little woman
in a blond toupee,
I mean hairdo

Ya know Saul Berenson of Homeland?
His drug of choice is not nuts and
pretzels
rather it’s chewing gum.
Wanna a stick, he offers Carrie.

She takes it and looks down casually
at the name on the wrapper.
Wrigley’s? Clark’s Teaberry or Black Licorice
in the blue and black wrapper?

I have gone to the market to buy
some chewing gum.
Reaching high up I choose
a bottle of sugarfree Juicy Fruit
made by the Wrigley Company

The first taste, as I bite through the
crunchy coating
is horrifying. How shall I
describe thee?
Like raspberry vinaigrette?
Enteric aspirin?
Never mind. The flavors
coalesce into something
pleasurable.

A watchdog website derides
the gum as containing
“controversial ingredients.”
Will I let that stop me?
Depends on the success of
my next short story, “The
Unlikely Psychiatrist.”



No comments:

Post a Comment