Saturday, October 11, 2014

Coffeeshop Writers Group - Trio of Talents - two new poems: His Daughter and Morning at Otto's

Just came from mom's, as I often do after the writers' group.

She has a hard time walking so the two of us walked up n down her driveway several times. She used her walker.

I enjoy her company.

  We tucked a red rose into the pocket on her walker, which I cut off with my pocket knife from the next door's overflowing sweet-smelling rose bush.

Am mildly pissed cause I wanted to drop off Dan's birthday gift, but his wife vetoed it b/c they're having company. First, he said Yes, then she responded in the background.

Here's the book, which I'm reading, until I give it up (to God!)



This morning, I drove my cross-the-street neighbor to the train station. We left at 6:30 am in the dark and falling rain.

She'd been up since 3, packing. She's flying to Florida to meet her mom at their condo. See poem at end.

When I got home, I decided to go out for breakfast. It cost $15 including big tip.

I took notes at the table, but never referred to them, while writing the poem.

I love going by myself. Got a little reading done

  Reads like poetry. Brown died in 2004 at age 53 of a heart attack. What a heartbreak! The guy was famous for writing terrible short stories but pursued and finally got good!

No, Matt Fuhrer of Authorized Camera Repair is not a priest. He was working next door and bought his lunch, a new item at the Giant. Egg salad sandwich on a soft roll. Swoon! (For both the lunch and the man.)
Kenny from the Giant took this photo of us at meeting's end. I'm wearing my new used sneaks from my friend Ellen R.

 We'll start with Martha. This is a 'stock photo' I have of her.

She read two excellent pieces, creative nonfiction is the official name.

M J GETS CAUGHT is the story of her misadventures when she attends Kutztown University, where she graduated as a communications major.

Free from the rules at home, she dates a variety of "oddballs" and possibly a "sociopath" or two. When she and a very nice but very pushy guy were parked in lover's lane, he got aggressive, but she was saved by a bright light.

It was a police officer, who asked her, "Aren't you Mr. Mack's daughter?"

ABIGAIL AND THE PREACHER was about a young lady with a stubborn streak who was about to be inducted into a polygamous malevolent cult when she saved herself.

More to follow next week.

Carly, who has the wonderful habit of hugging everyone, brought two lovely pieces.

But, first, a word about my new used clothes. I gave some flowing wide pants - with floral patterns - to her.


The clothes are airing out on the back porch b/c they smell like they were washed in Chanel No. 5.
Perfume! I hate it. Achoo!

Also, you'll see my black canvas.

An image of the rose will appear on the canvas.

About a year ago, Carly wrote a story about NAILS, the nickname of a roofer, who she read about in the obits.

She composed a nice story about him.

Now, she wrote another story, this time about a true story everyone but me has heard of.

THE ANNIVERSARY  GIFT concerns a newly married couple, madly in love with one another, and the woman gets a brain tumor. They're gonna move to Oregon where "doing yourself in" is legal.

WALT'S GRIN is about a story by Marion Callohan who wrote about a mentally challenged young man who "takes a risk" every time he tries to meet new friends. His mom, Patti, pushes him in a wheel chair.

Note to Carly:  If you wish, you can leave comments on the digital version of the Intelligencer. I do this upon occasion.

My two poems. Told Marf and Carly I was really scared I wouldn't remember how to write a poem b/c it's been maybe an entire month since I've wrin a poem.

So I went into the 'poetry department' of my brain and tickled it with some music by Alison Krause



I really got into the first poem I wrote - His Daughter - and was totally there in my living room writing about it.



HIS DAUGHTER

Hate to bother you
oh I hate to be a bother
Come in, I enthused
and watched her step
over the threshold
I’ve never been inside, she said,
her eyes going upward to the
cathedral ceiling as I saw my
house anew
I moved the black Glad Bags
of used clothes from a woman who
donated ten grand to the Southern
Poverty Law Center in a manic flight
and bade her sit on the velvety
red couch.

I always thought of her as
Charley’s daughter, the man I
knew more about than even
his own wife. She was a celebrity
in my eyes. His fingertips, I said,
weren’t they sliced off?

Yes, he told the woman to turn
off the machine and she thought
he said “turn it on.” They buried him
that way, the man who saw his
future wife at church and said,
“I’m going to marry Nan.”

Linda, with an easy smile that
flashed moon-white teeth,
learned what she could of this
older woman across the street
whose light goes on and stays
on at three in the morning,
while not a car drives by or
a dog barks.

As the psychiatrists say,
I am “guarded” but she
does not know that. As she
talks about the neighbors,
one in particular, the rapist
up the street. If he’s like his
twin brother, dead from drinking
at forty-five, he’s got no teeth
and is a kind man when sober.
They put them away for a
long long time, that’s what they did back
then – he must’ve been drunk when
he sawed out a window unit
and entered the stranger’s bedroom
but not her, the penis he was so
proud of, failing,
damn, he must be the laughing
stock of Graterford.

I leaned forward and stared.
Her body was like a stuffed sausage
one of those Bratwursts they have
at Otto’s. Her gall bladder,
she said pointing. When they scooped it out
her body couldn’t process fat and
she “ballooned” up.

Must Charley’s daughter remain a
maiden aunt to the end of her
days? A purveyor of fine tales
to women who would listen?
A watcher of the moon
rising over the dogwood
in the front yard of the
house her father built?  

*

But there was a second poem I must write. And fast. Time was moving on. Group was at 1:30 and it was now 12:45 pm.

*




A MORNING AT OTTO’S BRAUHAUS

God is crying raindrops
as I pull into the parking
lot, I cannot pay attention
to his grief right now, and
seat myself in the bright
room, next to the window
where God and the rain
have disappeared.

Am surprised at the
table of Koreans
below a mural of a
castle in Rhineland
and push away thoughts
of God crying for the
Nazi-baited population
and the death of my people

The Koreans surprise me,
not because they have ordered
fluffy waffles and various types
of sausage, but, when I look up
from my menu, they have bowed
their heads in prayer.
A God-denier, I like that.

Samantha says she will give me
coffee for free – it is Lucas, strong
and deep, addictive, if you let yourself –
free, because I only order the three egg
omelet with ham and peppers and two
types of cheese.

I have diabetes, I tell her, and …..
“I know,” she says. “My husband
has it.” He sticks the needle in his
big fat belly. “Oh, I have the fat belly,
too,” – she shakes her head no
“mine’s filled with black and blue marks” – his is
too, “that’s why I use my butt and arms,” I laugh.

The coffee goes down easy.
I am thinking of getting take-out
to sip on all day. What? To have
Parkinsonian symptoms in my
typing hands?
The yellow egg dish arrives
like The Magic Mountain of
Thomas Mann, the onions
are crisp and delicious
as Samantha, in a Heidi of
the Alps dress, with low
cleavage, arrives often
to check on me.

I have come to this faraway
place, not to forgive the Nazis,
but to pay homage to Stephen
and Arleen. We last met here
two years ago, when the seeds
of his cancer were percolating
like hot coffee in his gut
plotting their attack.

Hitler’s attacks were broadcast
all over the world, but Stephen’s
virus was guarded, its brigadier
general biding his time. A sadist,
he cared not about suffering,
only about the triumphal march
that was a knock-out, total
victory, that he watched
at Goldstein’s Funeral Home
in Southampton.

Wiping my mouth I stood up,
pushed in my chair, lifted up
my blue hood for the rain,
and walked out.
“Thanks, Samantha,” I
waved, and walked out
into God’s gentle rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment