Sunday, July 20, 2014

Steve Tobin Sculptures at Michener - I meet Dora Leder orig from Budapest



 What a shock it was that James Garner died in his Los Angeles home at age 86. Scott and I LOVE The Rockford Files.

In fact, I wrote a short story about a woman who wants to buy a 1977 copper-colored Pontiac Firebird

 

Am waiting for the story to be rejected. At least the two stories below have been published online.


"The Nap" is a true story. Read it here. It had been rejected at least four times until Mused took it.

"Good Morning Mrs Washington" was also rejected. But the editor of Mused wrote me back with some suggestions to make the story better. I worked on it and she accepted it. Read it here.

The story is based on what happened to one of the many receptionists at Einstein Medical Center Kidney Klink. Would love her to read it - her first name is Bernice - but I don't want her to get mad about my utilizing her story. I made up everything - her husband, her kids, her job as hairdresser.

In fact I just woke up from a short nap here on the Red Couch. I had such a busy day, beginning with a walk in the Pennypack with Scott and a couple members from the support group.

Steve Tobin, 57. works in new formats every two years. He majored in Math at Tulane University and became an artist. As a stained glass artist, he worked in Florence with glass masters. We watched a video about his work.

 Above is by a woman. It's called Flirting.
 Most of Tobin's sculptures are unnamed.
 Romeo and Juliet.
 Up close. I went up and felt the metal. All the metal he buys comes with a story.

 Nice arrangement of ornamental grasses in the Sculpture Garden.
 New glass mural in the hall of Michener
 Indoor Tobins.
Made of bullet casings.

We visited old friends like these twins. Could their papa be this man with the shiny bald head who crawled out of the picture.
His hand looks strange, doesn't it? Is it a real hand?
Some of Steve's stained glass.

 Loved the above painting. Then I figured out how to turn off my flash.
 Edward Hicks: Columbus Landing in the New World.

 Hicks painted the famous Peaceable Kingdom, which is not at the Michener



You can barely see the detail on the woman's dress above
Some sort of furniture by the great Robert Whitlock, a local furniture maker, who is in his 90s
 Tobin's stained glass. In the video it said that the furnace is so terribly hot that some workers can't stand the heat. Tobin learned how to let the heat flow thru his body. He had a red mark on his face and I wondered.... a burn?
Bubble bubble toil and trouble.... this not molten liquid. Well, it used to be, but it dried. Sun dried? Oven dried? Air dried.

A Tobin against the wall of the museum, which used to be a prison.

 I thought of spending the night in this nest-like sculpture but began feeling hungry. Scott and I drove to Main Street Doylestown and found Cafe Alessio, where we lunched.
 Quesidilla, filled with cheese n shrimp. The salsa was too hot to eat. Cough cough cough!
 Scott had a huge salad.
Our waiter Tony is studying kinesthesiology / physical therapy at Fresno State in Calif. He drove east with his room mate to drive him home to this area. Tomorrow Tony and his roommate will eat at Fred's, a members-only restaurant in New Hope.

Fred's Breakfast! New Hope, PA

I suggested Tony check out the Michener Museum. He'd never heard of the writer James Michener. I told him to save money and just see the Sculpture Garden.

 Doylestown has some beautiful old buildings. I photographed em while walking back to our car. We parked on Broad and Mechanics Street. Easy to remember, I told Scott. You're a mechanic and I'm a broad.
 This Sheriff truck by the Courthouse reminded me of one of my fave TV shows LONGMIRE. He's the sheriff of a small town in Montana. All the episodes are finished for the season and I'm panting for more.
 Terrible photo of a truly spectacular building.
Dora Leder liked it. She and I met and exchanged phone numbers.

Are you an artist? I asked her.

 Yes, she said. I'm an illustrator.

My heart leapt.

"I've illustrated over 78 books and magazines."




She also had CATARACT SURGERY a couple weeks ago. Like me, she felt the pain.

Off to Scott's. We'll watch some Rockford Files on Netflix.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry I haven't stopped by in a long while. I seem to get bogged down in things and then was away too. It sounds like you had a nice visit. Your mom looks remarkably good! I didn't realize she worked at Majestic and met your father there. I remember that he worked for Majestic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me I know how busy you are - plus just got back from the Emerald Isles - so I'm just happy you stopped by atall!

    ReplyDelete