Monday, May 26, 2014

Of Mice and Memorial Day - BBQ at The Demings - Email I sent tonite about the VA

 Big news! A mice family live in Dan's shed. Sadly, when we opened the cupboard door we saw a mice nursing her cub.

But if you don't get rid of them, they'll continue to propagate. Scott is very familiar with them - and their odor - as he has them living in his garage.

When they're in his house, he lays traps with peanut butter and gets them.

Later on, we will trap some of the mice.



I had to leave the party. No I wasn't kicked out. I brot my insulin pen, but I'd forgotten to put a needle on it.

I'll be back in 25 minutes, I said. 

Driving back to the party in great anticipation. Anticipation is a great feeling! This is Overlook Road leading to Edgehill Road.
 Here's red-haired Kenny. Dan and lil Hunter - short for Hunter / Gatherer? - are in the background.
 Wonderful food included grilled corn on the cob - watermelon I got from the Giant - potato salad - shrimp cocktail I got from the Giant, which had been a big hit at our Bonfire - hot dogs - grilled chicken and cheeseburgers.
 Jane, Kenny's mom, made this delicious Almond Cake with a strong almond flavor. It was so good I thought it was made from scratch. Forgot the name of the mix.

 What can be inside the box?
 The two man team of Scott n Dan opened the shed, then opened up the cabinet which contained the mice. Dan, with gloved hands, scooped three mice into the box. Scott popped on the lid.

Down the street is a little park. We let the mice go and they quickly scampered into the woods. However, will they survive w/o Mama?
 Nice arrangement at next-door neighbor Bud's.
Gluten-free brownie made by great chef Sara, mother of Hunter, wife of Steve. I was dumbstruck it was gluten-free.

What gives it its texture, I asked.

Tapioca starch, rice flour, coconut sugar. Here's the website.

OMG, I just remembered I only had two bites and took the rest home with me.

This PWD, person with diabetes, had a reading of 312 when I got home. Normal is 80 to 120.

Rode my stationery bike for nearly an hour and got it down to 159 w/o injecting insulin.

*

So, there's an article in the NY Times by one Colby C. Buzzell.


Here's Colby's website. 

Since you couldn't comment on the Times article, I sent Colby an email, which I got off his website.


Hi Colby,

Thanks for telling the truth in your Op-Ed piece in the Times today. The VA is a disgrace!

My boyfriend and I were watching the Memorial Day Concert last nite in Washington, DC on our local PBS station. We live in suburban Philadelphia.

Hope you don't mind my saying how disgraceful it was sending a brain-injured, traumatized soldier back to Afghanistan. He had many of his limbs blown up by an IED on his last tour of duty.

"Expendable" is a great word to describe the plight of our soldiers. Just send them back and let them become 'meat' for the enemy. Who cares? Only their families. The politicians, far from the battlefields, don't give a damn. Nice of Obama, seriously, to visit the Afghan yesterday. And even to keep us out of Syria and the like.

Last year I wrote an article about two veterans I met by chance near my local library.

Altho they suffer from PTSD, they smartly kept away from the VA b/c they had heard horror stories, similar to yours. Read it here if you wish

You're a wonderful writer, Colby. and I look f/w to reading more of your work.

Ruth Z Deming
Willow Grove, PA, suburban Philadelphia

No comments:

Post a Comment