Saturday, May 10, 2014

Coffeeshop Writers with The Three Muskateers - My poems: Howling in the Night - Chasing down the Mailman

Allan "The Hellion" Heller, Carly Brown and I arrived and shared our work. I told them I'd wrin a letter to a June Guest Speaker at the support group - Rajnish Mago, MD, originally from India. In my closing comments, I wanted to say something like Best Regards, but in Hindi.

So I went on FB and asked Jay Bhatt, librarian at both Drexel and Abington. One of his correspondents gave me the Hindi words.

The group joked that he may have given me the wrong words, like..... use your imagination!

CARLY wrote a delicious story about her favorite aunt who, 100 yrs ago, wished to live in a splendid place. And she did!



Budapest. (Buda-pesht. Half of my family are Hungarian Jews. And hungry, too. Tonite is our Bonfire at Tamanend Park.

Allan, the Poet Laureate of Hatboro, PA, brought in a fascinating piece on the cemetery at Valley Forge National Park.
Naked and starving as they are,
we cannot enough admire
the incomparable patience
and fidelity of the Soldiery.

- General George Washington
Alexandra Scott was born with a rare form of cancer. She was eight when she died. She is buried at the hero's cemetery b/c her family founded Alex's Lemonade.

image description
Here's Alex. 

There's also a female pilot from WW2 who's buried at Valley Forge. Women weren't allowed to go into combat as they are today. But this woman was flying her plane and died in a head-on collision with another plane.

Speaking of death - and when are we not? - I got important feedback on my story And Mushrooms for Dessert - we hope dessert has two S's - about a man who attempts to murder his wife.

My second story which I began this morning at 11:30 am is called Saving Sarah. It's a total fantasy about a physician who will become a drug addict but is saved by Eddie Washington. The real Eddie works here:

We do like our photos, don't we? No one would ever know I didn't bring my camera to the Giant. Scott loaded new batteries so it won't fail at the BF.

The second poem was something that happened to me last nite. 

The first poem may become a series called....



CHASING AFTER THE MAILMAN

The ritual begins:
lace on my black sneaks
place sunglasses over eyes
hold letter in hand
and then run.
More like a trot
now that I’m sixty-eight
though I could certainly run
if the Nazis marched up
our street.

Today as I carried a letter
up the high hill
I watched for a moving object
the way frogs do
craving to see Ken
the white-haired fellow
who limped after a fall
and now has an Ace
bandage across his
arm. “Did you get that
on your rounds?” I asked.
He hates when I ask personal
questions, but I’ve already
found out his last name and
that his wife, well, never mind.

“We took down a tree in the
backyard,” he said of his North
Wales home. But it was a woman,
today, a shy thing of a girl. In
mailman’s shorts and a 1960s
ponytail.

“Can I help you?” she asked
as if I were a little girl lost.
“A letter for you,” I said, and
she opened her hand, that contained
a red Netflix envelope. I put my letter
on top. Knowing, as only an American
with faculties intact, can know this secret
language of how to be quick as a bird.

Ken, like me, is not relaxing today. We
are two of a kind: Work or
peace be-gone. 



HOWLING IN THE NIGHT

The night was calm
I’d just stepped outside
in the wee hours to
welcome the stars
and the planets. Perhaps
I would see the deer family
who live in the small but
wild forest behind my house.

I went back inside, skipping
really, with the joy of being
alive and under the stars,
and sat myself down on
the swiveling chair in my office.
My, I was tired, but had two hours
to go before I finished my
busywork. The maudlin music
of Brahms played on YouTube
- perhaps that first piano concerto
that ripped my heart apart when
I was sixteen –
and then I heard it. Unmistakable.
Through the closed window.
It didn’t happen very often
but when it did, you were stunned,
stupefied, imagining it was you,
and whoever it was howling,
howling and screeching in
the wild forest behind my house,
we all die, but this. This sounded
like torture. 

Head in hands, I said a silent prayer
and switched from Brahms to
Daft Punk. That was no good so
I put on something from my childhood:
two whole hours of the sounds 
of birds in the backyard.
Mr. Fox and his family, safe in their underground den,
dined, without forks and knives, on fresh rabbit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment