Monday, April 21, 2014

Yes! Spring is here... ready for gardening

I'd like to introduce you to one of the most beautiful - and ancient - songs about Summer. There are many versions, but here's one by the great Richard Thompson, a British guitarist and songwriter.



Listen to the song here. Don't mind the obnoxious 5-second commercials. The song is worth waiting for! If you like, also listen to his Wall of Death. Whoo-hoo!

I first learned about Thompson from a client I had at Bristol-Bensalem, named John O'Reilly. Okay to use his name as he wrote an article in one of our Compass mags.

After lunch, Scott and I went to Lowe's in Horsham. We're getting an early start on saving our peach tree.

Last year the critters ate every single inch-high peach. Scott bought mesh to place around our entire tree..... big enough to let the bees inside but not the birds and squirrels.

I also bought a japonica shrub like my mom used to have. Heavenly smell!

 Hello Japonica, goodbye dead camelia. Lordy Lordy! Why did that gorgeous flowering shrub die? Scott planted it in the back of his yard cuz he didn't think it was all dead.

Look, these dirt "life supports" the shrub is planted in are certainly not the same as the Terri Schiavo life supports.

In fact, 9 years after she died in 2005, Terri Schiava made news today in the NY Times. Her husband Michael had finally won the right to have her feeding tube removed. To this day, both her brother and her parents are bitter that she hasn't been kept alive.

Both families formed organizations for The Right to Die with Dignity and the Right to Live with Infirmity.

After Scott and I shopped at Lowe's, we went to the nearby Fresh Market on Welsh Road in Horsham.

I made Scott and me a delicious lunch.....


I baked the salmon in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.

At Fresh Market, I bought a Meyer Lemon, which you rarely find around here. See how I luv to educate my readers with definitions?
Fresh steamed asparagus with butter and lemon.
The salmon was delicious.

 Our vegetable garden. Miss Reid, my sixth grade teacher at Mercer Elementary School, and Russell Eisenman, who teaches at Pan-American University in Tejas, both pronounce it  veg-e-tab-les. Up here, we scrunch the syllables together.

At Lowe's we saw an Asian couple who got a mixture of compost and manure. I asked Seth - always get these people's names - where to find it - so Scott got 15 bags, the perfect number.

Write it down, I said to Scott, over lunch.

I will, he said. I'll put it in my data base. (He also keeps info about his SEPTA trains in his data base for future reference of a similar problem.)

We got our rain barrel out and also hung up hummingbird feeders.

Watched a good movie today on my Red Couch, which I napped to.

20 Feet from Stardom is about "backup singers" who richly enhance main stars like Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson. Watch trailer here and then rent it from your local library.

Why spend your money? Keep it in your savings account so you can spend it on something spectacular. 

2 comments:

  1. I love Richard and Linda Thompson. Hadn't thought about them in years. Good for you collecting rainwater. I think about all these things but admit I never do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice to know that my post inspired you to possible listen again to richard thompson and also to get a rain barrel. how we love ours!!!

    ReplyDelete