Saturday, April 12, 2014

Saw Rocky Today - Poem: Diabetes Holds the Power of Life and Death


Had a follow-up appointment with Dr Rachmel Cherner (Rocky, for short, although his family members call him "Dick" - his little sister couldn't pronounce Rachmel).

He'd ordered a bunch of tests for me. Earlier this evening I typed all the results in my "Ruth's Medical File" and tucked them in my Red Wallet. Here's how they read: Doctors (I added Rocky's name), Meds, and Health Events and Lab Tests.

Everything came out fine. My creatinine level remains at .8. That's a measurement of kidney function.

I asked him Qs about insulin. Will it damage my body? Does it cause cancer?

"It's a natural substance," he said, "so it certainly isn't going to harm you." He told me if I accidentally injected too much I might get dizzy and pass out.

What are the most common complications, I asked.

Neuropathy: feet, hands, arms, anywhere on the body. Blindness, in extreme cases.

I asked if he could see my mom. Bernice is always complaining about young Dr Foxhall, who is also my family doctor.

"He never calls me back during the day, though Robert does."

I made an appt. for next week and will drive her over to The Chateau at Regency Towers.


She's not much of a swimmer, but I think I can drag her after me in the water.

Best of all, Rocky told me he read the two Compass mags I gave him.

"You better live a long time," he said. "These are marvelous! And so was your poetry!"

"You mean, you read my poetry?" I asked him.

Here's a poem I just wrote. YOU, Dear Reader, will be the first to read it, at 12:30 a.m.



DIABETES HOLDS THE POWER OF LIFE AND DEATH

In the middle of the night
I awoke
something was wrong
very wrong
my legs propelled me
past my stationery bike
and down the stairs
darkness outside
like the darkness within
Watch me stumble
into the kitchen
switch on a light
that blinded me with
its wah-wah rhythms

Leaning over the
table, I thought
“You’re low!
Your sugar
is so low you’ll
pass out, Scott
will find you in the
morning, blue, stiff
ready for the sarcophagus.

My brain had forgotten
how to think
See me pound my
fist on the table
Save yourself or die!
I screamed, as a
thrill went through me
I saw Death,
seated in the empty chair.

Demon! I cried,
as I found my bag of
whole grain pretzels
at the table’s edge

Crunch! said the bag
I stuck in my hand
a bear at the hive
and came up with all
the honey I needed, and,
shaking, trembling,
and sweating,
saved my life.
This time.


No comments:

Post a Comment