Sunday, April 13, 2014

Doubleheader: Denis & Fran for lunch - Town & Country Players for Dessert - Poem: My Hero


 Hello Denis Hazam
 Hello Fran Hazam. They both run a mood disorders support group at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylania. They also work at Mental Health Association of PA.

They drove over from Center City in their long red Mercury Sable Station Wagon.

After we finished eating and repaired to the living room I was telling them about a beautiful co-op bldg where my artist friend Evelyn Kobler lives.

I got up and found Evelyn's address in my Rolodex.

"That's where WE live," they said.
 They finally got to meet Scott. The salmon was delicious. The fishmonger named Soutan at the Giant cut it into four huge slices for me. I baked it in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. On the bottom of the pan I put coconut oil, sesame oil and olive oil.

I pierced the top with a fork and poured out a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and two cloves of crushed garlic.

 Eating a buttered asparagus. We also had a huge salad.
Fran brought a fruit compote for dessert with her own topping. Delicious!

Both Denis and I must watch what we eat. Me b/c of diabetes. Denis b/c he's on dialysis.

Denis had a transplant for the same reason as me. He did well for 6 years and then various factors contributed to a complete kidney shutdown.

They discussed the day Denis received his kidney. The cadaver was from Washington State, a 24-year-old kid.

Denis had gotten a call saying he was THIRD on the list. (I'd got a similar call. Mine did not work out.) His nurse-coordinator said he wouldn't get it, so he and Fran went to bed.

Around 10 pm, the phone rang.

It's yours, she said. Be here at 11 pm.

I walked the Hazams out to their car. "Hazam" is a Lebanese name. 

Then Scott and I drove to Buckingham to watch the sassy musical "The Scarlet Pimpernel."

scarlet400

Based on a novel by Baroness Orczy.



Wildflower scarlet pimpernel.

 Waiting for the show to start.
I bot my tix online but moved over to an aisle seat. Adults are so tall nowadays! I'm 4-11.

I heard a person say, "Wherever I sit, I'm cold."

I sat under a draft. At halftime, Scott and I went out to the car where I keep a red sweater with hood.

Yes, I needed to wear the red hood the entire time. Luckily, there were no wolves around.

The cast took a bow. Some people got bravos and whistles. We both loved it!

The woman in the mil with the red hair: here's what the programme says about her - Roseann Enright is theater director at Charles Bohme Middle School. She would like to thank her student Ngakiya for help with her French.

Kevin Palardy, to her left, played the Pimpernel. No one knew who the Pimpernal was, not even his wife. He would save various people from the guillotine during Robespierre's Reign of Terror during the French Revolution. 

Here's my poem for Denis.

It's a cinquain.... syllables 2 4 6 8 2


MY HERO

Denis
did not ask. Fate
swooped down, black wings unseen
bore gifts of books, dialysis,
and Fran. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment