Tuesday, April 8, 2014

And the Winners Are..... Poem: Saying Goodbye to Sarah Lynn

Deadline for entries to the Montgomery County Community College was Feb. 28. It took six weeks to judge all the entries.

The judges? Students.

Knowing that, I entered a love poem - Straying - which years ago Sarah said was really beautiful - and also a short story from the point of view of a cat.

The cat story lost, but luckily Straying won second prize and $75.

The really amazing thing about the contest is that I encouraged everyone in our Saturday Coffeeshop Writers' Group to enter, and everyone who entered, won!

Photo: Carly, Ruth, Linda, Martha - writers extrodinaire

Linda Barrett won third prize for Mr Cat's Revenge and Martha won fourth place for I Wasn't Ready.

Allan Heller, not shown, won fourth place for his short story Serpent. 

Here's Professor Pat Nestler's email, which was titled:

URGENT: You're a Winner in the Fiction & Poetry Contest!!




II. Community Winners

Poetry
1st place:  And I Am Born to the Sunlit World Again” by Nancy Priff 
2nd place: “Straying” by Ruth Deming 
3rd place:  Space” by Beth Moulton 
4th place:  I Wasn't Ready” by Martha Hunter
Honorable Mention:  
Lucifer Descending” by Miriam Parker  

Fiction
1st place:  Water Walking at the YMCA” by Gunter David  
2nd place: “3rd Degree Circus” by Radnor Law
3rd place:  Mr. Cat's Revenge” by Linda Barrett
4th place:  Serpent” by Allan Heller 
Honorable Mention:  City of Woe” by Nancy Priff

Cows used to graze where the college now stands. Moooo!

First-prize storywinner Gunter David, 84, lives in Weston, CT, with his wife Dalia. They moved there to be around their daughter and her family. Gunter is an outstanding writer, whose works have been widely published, including in Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Now, if you're me, you look up each of the authors to see their work. Beth Moulton is quite good. Read this about Ruby Red Grapefruit and Death



There are thousands of lit journals in the world and Beth has published in a few of them. ALWAYS look where people are published and add these journals to your list.


Scott was quite proud of me, of course, and asked if I wanted to go to Whole Foods. He had gift cards from Christmas.


Give me a couple of hours, I said. I wanted to finish up a grant to Beneficial Savings, which I did, then drove it over to the Bryn Athyn 19009 post office and mailed it off.

The bridge has been fixed now for 3 weeks, said Maria, the postmistress, so that's the closest post office. She said it's not really fixed, just temporarily repaired.

PLUNK!


What a marvelous dinner we had, courtesy of Whole Foods. Their renovation is complete and it's a beautiful store.
The large scallops had just arrived at Whole Foods. I cooked em with mushrooms, onion, garlic, and the last of some white wine.
Cindy, who works at the cheese bar and oversees the condiments such as olives, told me these green ones are the least salty.  And a salad.

When Sarah left yesterday, I knew I was gonna write a poem about her.



GOODBYE SARAH LYNN

That musical voice on the phone
“Hi Mom!”
my Sarah Lynn
coming home for a visit
her stays as short as a
robin splashing in the
bird bath out front

Her plane got in this morning
Amsterdam
she and Ethan
spent a romantic seven days
in Tulip Land
I’d never ask, “Did you smoke pot?”
but sitting here on the red couch
she said guests smoke in
coffeeshops, rolling
their own joints,
the smell of dark coffee
and pot making it nearly
impossible to leave

My Sarah looks lovely and thin
muscled arms, at forty,
neck silky smooth
a longer one than mine
How we rightfully treasure
the vitality of youth
the lack of mordant disease:
the detestable families of
cancer, hepatitis, arthritis
and, oh, the marathon race
of the bludgeoned four-
chambered heart
the last sound
we hear

I see her watching my face
and think, “Am I aging, my dear?”

“I’m in no hurry today, Mom,” she says
a voice that rivals the soprano’s lullaby
we sit and talk and munch on
Puccini Bonbons at Gram’s
that flew with her across the wide Atlantic
excited to be part of the great
munching tradition of the Greenwold-
Demings

I pull up my shirt
not to nurse
but to inject
insulin,
the buttercrunch outer
layer on the chocolate-
filled caramels is
my favorite,
Is it worth complications
-going blind or
losing your sweet
curling toes?

I excuse myself, get on the exercise bike
in the living room, to lower my glucose,
marveling at my keen eyesight as
I genuflected before the yellow daffodils
in my back yard
poking their heads from the frozen earth
-the patience of the daffodil –
until the bugle sounded
and their heads appeared
-pleated-
like the skirts of
Catholic schoolgirls
armed with beauty
to delight the passersby
and God
or no-God

We were together from when the
sun came up until it began shutting
down and I left her at her brother’s
with his family and children.
Driving home with my ancient mother
whose cane was in the front seat
and a sister who eats no gluten
I realized this is the best way to
say Goodbye. Have others present.

When I awoke in the morning
in the bed where Sarah slept
the night before, I didn’t smell
the coffee she’d made, or
felt pleased by the granola bar
she helped herself to,
but forgot she had gone
until the white-throated
sparrow began its love cry
in the cold light of dawn.






No comments:

Post a Comment