Saturday, January 18, 2014

Worked on Compass - Finally painted Grace

This post should only take me a second and then I can.... do what? Oh, that's right. I'm watching these movie star bio's on YouTube - Biography.com - and one movie star is as scandal-ridden as the next.



Bridget Bardot, b. in 1934, so she's 80 today, as a young woman, all she cared about was being beautiful. And having affairs. She was the plaything of rich men and the object of stalkers who occasionally let themselves into her house and landed in her bed.

Her parents were so uncaring and unloving, all she wanted was attention.



Clara Bow - the "It Girl" - IT meaning Sex. She grew up in Brooklyn, where her mom was a prostitute and her father raped her when she was about 15.

She and her father moved to Hollywood to attain stardom. She loved her father even though he was - what's a synonym for 'scumbag?' - and after she became famous he'd try to pick up women saying he was Clara's father. 

Then there was Jean Harlow. And Charlie Chaplin.

I watched all these docs while I was on the floor in The Quiet Room painting a portrait of Grace.

I'd set up the room about three days ago, waiting for the right moment to start work. I've said before that setting up is the worst part.

Here's a snack I just had. At about 1:35 a.m. Am trying to finish off my cream cheese. I eat the celery, leaves and all, and especially enjoy the mud that gets stuck at the bottom.

I basicallly worked on the Compass from morning until 10 pm. Look! Someone's gotta do it.

At naptime, Scott and I watched Quartet, the directorial debut of Dustin Hoffman. There were some good moments but it kept changing scenes too quickly. You couldn't sink your teeth into the beautiful cinematography and you wanted to spend more time with each of the characters. But once they made their appearance, they were quickly whooshed offscreen.

Now, for my portrait of Grace Catherine, who's 3 yrs old, I needed a photo of her, but did not have one. I wanted to do a full body portrait, since I did her brother's face, comme ca:

In this pic of Max, I did like I was taught by my teacher Chris, who told us to paint the background first.

I would not do that for Grace, b/c I wanted to finish it in a single sitting, there on the floor of the Quiet Room with Clara Bow's bigamist husband being shot to death while she was away from home.
I goggled Little Girl in Dress and this is what I came up with. Dig her fantastic socks!

Are you ready for me to unveil my painting?

It's not quite as bad as I thought.

And, now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna watch Mysteries and Scandels: Ruth Z Deming. I mean, Merle Oberon.

No comments:

Post a Comment