Saturday, January 4, 2014

Coffeeshop Writers - good to see everyone in the Blustery weather - My 2 poems: Pausing on a Winter's Day - Three Sacrificial Geese

When I was leaving the Writer's Group, a man named Ken came up and started talking to me. Why me? Around 73, he wore a cross around his neck and had just gotten up from a table where he was talking to a Catholic priest from St David's.

Ken also had on a tag that pronouncd him a Vietnam vet. He asked me if I were a believer. No, I said, I'm Jewish.

Oh, we have a lot in common he said - family, philanthropy, and a good sense of numbers. I think he meant money. I do turn off the lights when I leave the room. And keep my heat on 69 but when I sleep I turn it down to 65. AND I never buy books or movies. That's what the library is for.

When group was over, it dawned on me that I have diabetes. Perhaps I was low. I walked around the Giant store looking for free samples.

I simply refused to spend any more money!


Unfortly there were no free cheese h'ors derves. Then I walked over to the Kids' Korner to ask if there were any candy canes.

None. Went to the pharm where they'd set out candy. None.

What was I to do?


Remembered I bought two large bags of pecans - am eating em right now - for my nut mix. Ate a handful in the car before I drove off to Officemax to buy a new B&W printer cartridge, generic model.

Linda had to work but she came over and dropped off her newest revision of Mr Cat's Revenge. Great story - which she'll probly enter in the Montco Comm College Writer's Competition - she took first prize last year - but our group wants her to finish it, so we can find out if the cat gets his revenge.

Allan Heller shared two poems - "To Be a Poet" contained these immortal lines:

To be a poet
You don't need to rhyme
This tiresome practice
Died out over time.

"Called to Christ" was a moving testimony to his conversion. His mom was raised Protestant and his dad Jewish. Christ had knocked on his door a few times but Allan never answered.

Finally he answered the call.

Reminded me of a quote I saw on the wall at the Shrine of Mother Drexel in Bensalem.

"You did not choose me, but I chose you" - John: 15:16.


I'm a faithful visitor to Catholic shrines, even though I'm a nonbeliever.



Czestochowa in Doylestown, PA. My Catholic friend Carolyn and I drove down one year.

Just spoke to Carolyn today. Her sister has had Parkinson's for over twenty years, yet she's doing well. When she wakes up in the morning, she's so stiff she can't move. So her husband injects her with a couple of shots that Carolyn sez cost a couple of thousand dollars apiece.


Stiff as this fellow until he earned his stripes and became a real boy.

Allan Heller was a friend of the newly deceased poet laureate of Hatboro, PA. Here is a book he autographed for his buddy Allan



Ed Galing wishes him luck on 12-1-13, shortly before he entered the eternal kingdom.

Nice sweatshirt, Marf. Hadn't noticd it before. Carly, the clothes horse, wrote "Another List from Carly Brown," about that odd term - "bucket list" - things people wanna do before they croak.

In it she mentioned on Candy Chang - who dat? - who caused a sensation with her Before I Die commentary.

What I'm gonna do after I finish bloggin, is listen to this 6-min video on TED Talks. 

Carly's List story is very promising. In it she said she has a hard time sleeping. We all gave her suggestions. I think if I were her, I'd take a pill. Maybe Benedryl which would also clear up any sinus problems she has.

I wrote down Ambien and Halcyon and told her never to take them. Read this Ambien horror story here. 

Beatriz, who looks youthful and vibrant here, has had a couple of health scares. She said that, like me, we take these in stride, having faith in our good doctors and our fine support systems.

B's latest entry on Pollinators contained many strong lines, including "If all honey bees disappeared, it would be catastrophic for agriculture and we would suffer grievously."

Martha wrote a fine poem "Working my Way Through Life" about all the unusual jobs she's had. Allan called it a POETIC RESUME.

She's worked as waitress in a ____ joint (can't read my writing & am too lazy to get up and fine em), and a house maid in a beach hotel. That sounds really cool. But she wrote she had to clean up other peoples' messes.

Reader, what's the longest you've worked at a job? I guess I've been running New Directions for 27 years.

Carly has trouble staying asleep. She'll see her doc next week. I wrote down AMBIEN and HALCYON and told her never to take em. Here are some funny things - and terrible things - people have done while on Ambien. 

I'm lucky cuz I can stay awake sans caffeine tho I doze off while I'm writing, then jerk awake.

I worked on my next short story - LOVE OF CAR - for two nights. Everyone in the group liked it and so did Ada. I'll submit it somewhere.

A photo now of the acclaimed author who wrote these obscure poems

Ruth Z dressed in battle gear. What looks like a shield is actually a Xmas blouse from my niece Melissa.

Here are the poems I wrote well before deadline - who me? - finished em off last nite before I worked on the end of my short story.



PAUSING ON A WINTER’S DAY

Time goes so fast
let me hold up my hand and
beseech:
Stop!
Time!
Stop!
What I will do is sit
in my car in the
library parking lot
while the chill of
winter makes its
dramatic appearance
on the Pennsylvania
stage.

While I have eyes
let me use them
Look! A beautiful
clapboard house
seems to smile before me
I run my eyes
across its old-
fashioned lines
like a lady in a bustle

Facing me is a new
window jutting out
filled no doubt with
plants – perhaps a
purple cyclamen? - that give
the family pleasure

As does the huge wrap-
around front porch that
speaks of family gatherings
and rocking chairs

The American flag flutters
in the frigid December winds
Bare trees – naked to the
world – reveal
their shapely
feminine figures
some dressed in
leafy squirrel nests

A row of dark hedges
pebbled with red berries
stand guard
from possible intruders
in the library parking lot

The family will never
in a million suspect
that one patron
as warm and relaxed in
her car as a
Buddhist nun
has fallen impossibly
in love with
their white clapboard house.



THREE SACRIFICIAL GEESE

The god of Abraham
stayed the hand of Isaac
as he lifted knife above his son
thou shalt not,
the Lord commanded
but shall instead
sacrifice those
who made it off the Ark

Geese, I suppose,
were among them
those beautiful
flying torpedos
whose coughing
hiccupping sounds
are a comfort
to our humanity.

Why, then, shoot them?
Because
the call runs deep
And I saw in the
neighbor’s back yard
a hunter in camouflage
with his proud catch
displayed
on the canvas of
the driveway.

A trio lay there
plump plumed
insensate
their long necks
stilled
as if strangled

I watched as feathers
flew and he filleted them
hands bloody as MacBeth
He was a master
a master at shooting geese
and when he handed me
three breasts in a plate
I accepted with thanks
ate part of one
no different than pot roast
and gave the others away.

Never again to lay down
with geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment