Wednesday, January 15, 2014

All in a day's play - Hair Cuttery Update - Clearing up the Wendy Davidson 'scandal'

Who is this gorgeous chick? Oh, it's me, Ruth Z. Deming. Couture by the Fox Chase Thrift Shop. Hair by Amanda at Hair Cuttery, Abington, PA.

She liked my red hair, which, as my faithful readers know, is Burgundy No. 48 by Revlon.

I always seem to ask the right Qs.

How's Ralph doing, I asked.

He just retired, said Amanda and Roz, who was working on a young woman's long hair in the station next to ours.

He was 75 and had been working in hair his whole life. He owned a barber shop, I believe with his brother, and then after he sold it came to the Cuttery.

Ralph had a nice following. He used to cut Dan's hair - beautiful golden locks, I kid you not.

When I get home I get an email from Jonathan Katz....


Heeere's Jonathan, my friend from Goddard College, saying there's a rumor going around that our classmate Wendy Davidson is dead.

She and I used to be best buddies at Goddard.



I got out my Green Address Book and dialed her no.

Don't you love looking in people's drawers with impunity? I also keep sox in here.

A man answered and said Wendy doesn't live here anymore. He said he gets occasional calls for her. Wonder what he was doing home during the day. I wonder what I'm doing home during the day.

Finally I called the Abington Library - my library was busy - and they looked on Ancestry.com but didn't find her death.

Of course not! The woman is still alive. After all, she's my age. Turned 68 on May 29, 2013.

A
Ah, here she is now. She was a beautiful kid when we knew each other, one of the few people shorter than I was. She was four-ten, to my four-eleven and a half.

Not only did Jon Katz email me, but so did my friend Iris Arenson-Fuller from Goddard. I told Iris I would get back to her.

Wendy and I spoke a good half hour. I was putting away my dishes and she said what are you making for dinner. I explained what I was doing, but you, Dear Reader, get to see what I did make for dinner.

Now don't get all drooly-mouthed when you see it!

Two scrambled eggs with pepper and my first dish of BROCCOLINI, doused with olive oil and lemon.

Better than broccoli. Let's see what Wiki has to say...

Wiki: Broccolini is a green vegetable similar to broccoli but with smaller florets and longer, thin stalks. Often misidentified as young broccoli, it is a hybrid of broccoli and kai-lan, Chinese broccoli, both cultivar groups of Brassica oleracea. It was developed by the Sakata Seed Company of Yokohama, Japan, in 1993 as "aspabroc". "Broccolini" is a registered trademark of Mann Packing Company, Inc.

OMG! This is too fantastic! A hybrid. Perhaps you can drive a car with it.

Wendy's car was a wreck, so she no longer has a car, but goes everywhere by bus. She takes the senior citizen's transportation.

Can you believe it? she said.

If you think that's bad, Wendy lives in a senior citizen's apartment!

Far from the Winooski River of our Goddard College days.



How are you wearing your hair these days? I asked.

She always had long hair.

Oh! I'm so embarrassed, she said. She hadn't got it colored in quite a while and the top was gray while the rest is brown.

I asked her, quite seriously, if she wanted me to mail her some Revlon hair dye?

Of course she said no, but I did promise to write her a letter, which I will do the morrow.

Tonite I've got compassing to go, miles and miles before I sleep.

My fans may remember I told you that Peach Tea is the best flavor ever!

Is a lady allowed to change her mind?

Let's just say Peppermint is tied for first place.

I wrote Judy Diaz a letter this morning and enclosed two bags of peppermint tea.

I ran after Mailman Ken, walking up the hill, panting all the way, before I saw him and handed him the puffy letter.

Ken Graver, our mailman, drinks Decaf. I just love these little nuggets of information that connect me to everyone I see, including you, Dear Reader.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks much for clearing up the Wendy question. I'm glad she is still with us. Your posts are always fun to read and interesting. I enjoy getting a glimpse into your life, always. I really like today's picture of you too!

    You didn't say what Wendy is doing these days?

    ReplyDelete