Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Armory & The MAD - Bus trip from CTAS (Cheltenham Adult Evening School)

Artwork from The Armory is exhibited at the New York Historical Society Museum & Library.

Am I gonna like this? I thought, mounting the steps.

I got the shock of my life (hyperbole) when I was snapping pictures from the bus window and suddenly the screen turns black and the baleful words read Change Batteries.

Scott had replaced the batteries - rechargeable ones - so now I was plumb outa luck. For a while, anyway, as you shall see.

Okay, let's go online and find a few photos from this first museum we saw. Don't worry, we won't waste much time.

Marcel Duchamp's 1912 painting Nude Descending the Staircase. Borrowed for the exhibition from the Phila Museum of Art.

This show contained a sampling of works by the likes of Picasso, Matisse, and Gauguin from the original Armory Show in 1913. The American public was introduced to the avant-garde artists of Europe. 

Blue Nude by Henri Matisse, 1907. Borrowed from Baltimore Museum.

Brancusi was also represented.

Hey, I'm hungry! Where shall we eat?

How about The Ocean Grill at Columbus Ave. at 78th St?

Hazel and I walked from the museum into the fresh balmy air of New York City to find the Ocean Grill.

Thanks for seating us by the window, Richard. Every single employee who sees you at the Grill is endlessly kind and solicitous.


This looks nothing like the horseradish-encrusted salmon I had over some goat-cheese filled gnocchi with brussels sprouts.

Literally one of the best meals I've ever had. When I told Scott - he found me upstairs on my exercise bike - you can guess why - he said, "I said the same thing about my own horseradish-encrusted salmon at Howard's in Long Beach Island."

Okay, enough already, with stolen photos off the Internet. Let's get to my pix.


 We were gonna land at the MAD after the Armory Show. Call me up and I'll explain why the panels are all white on the bldg. Oh, heck, I'll tell you now. They're white blinds over the glass exterior.
 View from the bus, Gus. Every time I see a bashed-in car, like above, I think I'm so glad that didn't happen to me.
 Dorrell at Duane Read Pharmacy, the man who saved the day.
 Thanks, Dorrell, for selling me batteries and installing em in my camera. Don't look at the missing sign. He's still missing. It's terribly terribly sad.
 Street vendors.
 Artsy benches. Aluminum?

 Hazel, who's a teaching nurse at Drexel, and I stopped in at the American Folk Museum. They own this Peaceable Kingdom by Edward Hicks. The guard said Hicks did about 60 of them.
 Exhibition of quilts. I pretended to get a shot of the outside of the museum but I really wanted a shot of this woman in her striped shirt.

I saw more striped shirts today! Bill Cunningham of The Times should do a video on Black and White Stripes. Guess what I was wearing? Yep. But my shirt was thin since I bot it at the thrift shop.
 We passed a Mormon Temple and went inside.
 I took the elevator up to the bathroom.
 Rent-a-bike. Lovely blue. Yes, there's a new color out you'll find at paint stores.... it's called Citi Card blue.
 Even the subway stops are gussied up. Can u see the statue down there? Or else it's someone who's been beheaded.
 Many hustlers who wanted you to ride their tour bus. Very competitive.
 This guy wanted you to rent one of his bikes.

 I stopped into this little mall with this big fat naked lady. I was a-scared so I ran away as fast as I could. She tried to catch me but it was hard for her to run with her feet stuck on the platform.

 Clean air hybrid electric bus. Does SEPTA offer these?
 This is our MAD museum. Art and Design.

 Dining partner Hazel is on the right. Marie, 79, with cane, lives in Gloria Dei Retirement. She is extremely active and a great walker.
 Altho these two bldgs look like cardboard cut-outs, they are not. They are tall buildings, strikingly beautiful. 
 False alarm, but they've gotta come out anyway.
 Now you can take a look at the 'blinds' that create the 'white look' from the outside of the 8-story (I think) museum, but then who's counting.


 This was a huge sculpture made of polyurethane or some such version of plastic.

 I just really dig buildings.
 From the bus, I snapped people relaxing in the middle of the road.
 This street vendor takes out time to kneel on his rug and pray.


 I even like the blurry pictures. Do you?
 Times Square
 
 This elegant old bldg is stuck in the middle of newer ones and an incongruous Cadillac dealership.
 The marquee was flashing on and off. Like the noise of the crickets outside my house.

Yes, I've got the screen door open so my tired feet can get a cool breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment