Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Warm Send-off from my friends at the Willow Grove Giant Supermarket - That Pesky English Ivy

I've got all my meds and pills for my trip to London and Paris.

Erich Dietz, the pharmacist, answered an important question.

How many Novolog Pens should I bring?

Two.

Here is how I looked this morning

Got my photo tooken at the Huntingdon Valley DMV. I thanked Jeff Tidwell for taking a great photo of me. My friend, Martha, said she looks like a 'wrestling pro' in her photos. I wanted to look like an attractive woman of 28 in my picture.

Mary Ann Moylen, nutritionist, said, When buying chocolate it must 70 percent or more chocolate; otherwise there's too much sugar in it.

I bought two bars and went upstairs to see Robin Franklin, who takes care of scheduling Rooms for our Daytime Meetings and also our Free Saturday Events.

As I walked up the stairs, I smelled the heavenly aroma of coffee.

"Thanks for having my coffee ready for me," I joked.

"Would you like some?" asked Robin.

How could I refuse?

Then I broke out my chocolate and gave a slice each to Robin and Elyse Bonner and myself. We dipped it into the hot coffee.

Elyse mentioned it's also delicious when you drink it with wine. Sadly, my wine bottle must be opened with a corkscrew, which I don't have.

Since I'll be out of town - but not out of my mind (thank goodness my bipolar went away) - on Halloween, I bought candy for four of my neighbors in the Giant Supermarket bins.

Last nite I stayed up until around midnight working on a new short story, tentatively called The Psychic.

I need someone to read it to. Rob? Judy? Beatriz?

I'm out in the backyard clipping my multitude of shrubs, then carting them off in the wheelbarrow.

Then I notice the bane of the garden:

Beautiful if you can control it, but, like cancer, awful if it spreads. It takes over everything and kills.

Then I had an idea. Why not send an email to Mike McGrath of You  Bet Your Garden.





Here's what he wrote:

Herbicides are useless on plants with waxy leaves.
    And poisons are NEVER the answer. Never never.
    You need to install edging to keep it on their side and then have a pulling party to get rid of what has already crossed over. And be sure to 'invite' the neighbors to help....
For more info, Read the ivy articles in this Archive of Previous Questions of the Week
from my Public Radio show, where the alphabetical order listing should make it easy to find the topics you need; just look under the letters of your keywords. (Or click on the "A to Z Garden Answers" tab at www.youbetyourgarden.org.)
All the best, Mike McG; You Bet Your Garden
Archive of Previous Questions of the Week

In my reply I wished him a great trip to Cuba, per below. 

Join Mike McGrath on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Cuba!
Opportunities to visit Cuba are very rare, so join Mike as he leads a small, select group of travelers though the botanic wonders of this tropical isle January 14-22. Everything is included—food, lodging, airfare to and from the islands—but space is extremely limited. For details, itinerary and more information, visit

No comments:

Post a Comment