Saturday, August 10, 2013

My Weekly Visit to Mom - Scott and I Stroll Around her Neighborhood - Houses in Justa Farm

A nice ritual I've established is visiting Mom after my Writers' Group.
Here's a photo I'd never seen of my mom, Bernice, making a kuchen with her Grandma Zali.

Zali, which is my middle name (Jews are named after deceased relatives), is probly sitting down b/c she walked with a limp.

In her native Hungary, a horse and buggy knocked her down, resulting in her being lame.

She had 11 children.

Mom used to call the rolling pin "valgerholts." Yiddish.

Don't worry. My mind's not that good. I looked it up. I'll challenge Mom and see if she can remember the word.

The moment I left the Writers' Group I went to the Upper Moreland Library to refill my empty brain.

Saw our great Library Director, Margie Peters.

I suggested the library earn money by selling book bags, with beautiful designs on them. See those paintings behind her? Why not get em stenciled on the bag.

Cheapskate that I am, I told her I'd buy two: one for me and one for Scott.

The birthday flowers that Pat and Rachel brought over from next door smelled delicious.

While there, Cousin Lloyd called. In his mid-80s, he still goes to the gym.

Cousin Lloyd Gilden. Just as handsome as ever, I told him over the phone. Foto taken at Mom's 90th b'day party last year.

Above, Mom's neighbor Liesl is moving b/c her husband died. If you have $650,000, perhaps you'd like to move in. Here's her gorgeous house.
 Lotsa nice mailboxes.

For several years, kids would bash in the mailboxes, so people got stronger boxes.
 I always liked this plantation house. Scott and I were strolling around Mom's neighborhood and I was fearlessly photographing, even tho I felt self-conscious about it.
 Hello cute little barn mailbox. Any birds living in there?

Reminds me that this morning, Scott saved the life of a sparrow.

A hawk swooped down and had the sparrow in his talons. When Scott came out of the house, Mr Hawk dropped the sparrow and flew away.
 Black-eyed Susans.

 Never saw this color Hydrangea.
 Corner of Rhoades and Gantt Drive.
Fancy plantings in front of the Ibiri house next door to mom.

Scott, his leg wrapped in an Ace bandage, enjoyed the walk. "Justa Farm" is sort of like our "Moreland Hills" but the houses are huge and more expensive.

We don't have any doctors on our street.

Well, Scott is a Doctor of Mechanics at SEPTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment