Friday, April 5, 2013

Max is already part of the world! / Poem: Welcome home Max Atticus Deming



I get da boobies??!!Max Atticus Deming, three days old, spittin' image of his old man, who's 36. Will his eyes stay blue?

Leaves and sticks at the local park Big sister Grace in her favorite place: The Great Outdoors.



Me and snugly guy!
WELCOME HOME MAX ATTICUS DEMING
Born April 1, 2013

So this is who you are, my darling,
cossetted away in mommy’s belly
hiccupping
napping
gazing around with your
huge blue eyes
at the nothing
that soon would become
everything!

Big sister Grace and I
discussed animals with tails
monkeys, dogs, and cats like
Nudge, Blank, and Doober
your tail, my boy, disappeared after
six weeks,
one day you’ll know the meaning of
“Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny”

Without my even asking
your mother
transfers you into my
arms
Was I presentable?
nail polish chipping
hands chapped from winter frost
ghostly white hair covered
by henna’d red
but you, little boy, are perfect
head round as a peach
little pink legs tasty as
baby carrots
toes warmed by double socks
kissable fingers with tiny button nails
wrapped around my own

How we gathered round –
Daddy, Mom-mom, Grace and I
Time for your unveiling
disguised as a diaper change.
The ritual, prehistorically old,
before our exodus from Africa
that brought us to
Ireland, England, Hungary
and Glenside, Pennsylvania
we partake in the ritual of
your manhood
the proof of who you really are

I gasped within at my first view
of your Darwinian gear that
so mesmerize the world –
-The Pythian Apollo in the Vatican
-The David I saw in a museum in Florence
you, too, little man, are
possessed of that long pointed sword,
that cornstalk to populate the world,
with its bed of seedlings stashed below

Cheek to cheek
I kiss and bless you
my grandson
Sixty-seven years younger than I
“Bubby” you will call me
like Big Sister does
No greater thrill than when she asks,
“Bubby are you coming over today?”
It is good that Science
keeps bubbies and zaydas alive
well past their prime

Your back yard awaits you
Daffodils and pansies
Tall pines that sweep the sky
A bird bath that fills up
with violent March rains
all of them conspiring to
welcome you, baby Max,
into the eccentric madness
we call Life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ruth,

    You honored me by letting me read this poem before you posted it. It is lovely and highly moving to me. What a treasure for little Max to have in the future and for his family. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete