Thursday, February 7, 2013

Happy B'day SLD - Great articles for our next Compass

Yes, this little darling, is 39 years old today.

When she was born, she was 6 lbs, 7 ounces, and scored 9, I believe, on the Apgar test. 

Her then-big blue eyes followed my finger when I flowed it along her precious face at Bohne Hospital in Brenham, TX.



The little girl was smart. And courageous. And interested in all things. She got the best gene of all - the curiosity gene.

One of her friends is a Buddhist monk, referred to as Rinpoche.


Hmm, wonder if he's on FB.

Anyway, at naptime, Scott and I watched "Unmmistaken Child," an Israeli-made film about the search for the reincarnated Rinpoche of a beloved master.




Quite a good film. I snored thru only about 20 minutes of it.

I have the darnedest time falling asleep at nite. I enjoyed Charlie's i/view with Sonia Sotomayor. During her childhood in the South Bronx she experienced all the horrors we think of when we think of poverty. Her closest friend died of AIDS, tho it was never spoken of.

Women, like her mother, learned to be tough.

Her favorite thing is not being a Supreme Court Justice but being a role model for young Latina women.

When the show was over, I turned off my light and tried to fall asleep. No dice. Turning it back on, I read the new New Yorker. Lots of good articles, including one about the murderess Amy Bishop. A neurobiologist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, she sat down at the conference table just moments before the faculty meeting began, brought out her Ruger and began shooting. And killing.

She had been denied tenure.

Speaking of which, an LAPD cop was fired and now he's on a cop-killing rampage in Los Angeles. Let's see if he's been caught yet.

Giddyup to the NY Times.

Nope. Still on the loose. He's killed three so far.

The idiot must be having the time of his life.

He ain't getting his picture on my blog. No way, man!

I did enjoy listening to a Fresh Air program - hi Terry Gross - with Paul Barrett, author of "Glock: The Rise of America's Gun."

Extremely smart marketing made it the glamorous gun of choice used by 2/3 of police departments.


Easy on the trigger, Clint. It goes off very easily. Many a cop has accidentally shot his foot or his thigh.

You know what? I live alone and have no need of a gun. All I need are a few good mice traps. They're my invaders.

For my Compass i/view with Dr Basem Shlewiet, I emailed him a series of questions and received the reply today.

His life is all the more fascinating for having been born 70 miles south of Damascus, the capital of Syria.

What's my next move?

I'll go upstairs and proof Norman Cotterell's article on Anger.


Here's dynamic Norman at the Beck Institute in Bala Cynwyd, PA, where he works.

Earlier today I called Mark Amos, our Compass printer.

"Mark," I said. "The Compass is gonna be double the normal size, maybe about 80 pages."

He'd told me there's only so much you can staple together with two staples.

"That'll be fine, Ruth," he said.

Whew!

4 comments:

  1. I know you are hard at work on the Compass issue. We had an honest-to-goodness blizzared here. How bout you? The last I remember that was this bad was Valentine weekend of 1983. I was cajoled into going to our Valentine party at the home of a member of our Widow/Widowers group. I was feeling down and didn't want to go. Well we got snowed in and I had to leave my kids alone overnight for the first time ever. Jesse was old enough to hold down the fort but I was anxious about it. When I got home the next day, I couldn't get in the door as there was about 3 feet of snow blocking it that I had to shovel out first. Well this day is as bad.

    Hope Sarah had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a story about the blizzard of '83. wonder how your kids remember it (referring back to your post about the twinkies). we got maybe 6-8 inches of snow. when i woke up at 10 am (i sleep late cuz i was compassing all nite) my car and sidewalk were shoveled free, thanks to good ole scott and nice neighbors! i'll check to see how you're doing on FB. meantime, back to the compass and good music to accompany me. REM's greatest hits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting question. I will ask them what they remember of the blizzard of '83. Many roads here still not clear. Huge snow mountains. Emily, the Scottie is very wound up. She tries to climb up on snow piles, runs around like a crazy one, but doesn't pee..too excited. She has to succumb soon. Art got to work four hours late yesterday..had to use snow blower on driveway and the street. Plow didn't even come till 5PM. When Art was done, the plow guy arrived and thanked him for plowing the street so he could do other customer's driveways, and then he promptly got stuck in our neighbor's. Even today, lots of streets have not been cleared and mountains of snow are obstructing visibility. Wish I were back in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes you certainly got walloped again, didn't you? nice how the neighbors pulls together at these times. scott and i just came back from a nature walk. all the roads are clear but at pennypack, where we walk, there was lotsa snow and you had to be careful not to slip. he brot his camera and got fantastic shots which you will see sometime or other within these pages! interesting about emily!

    ReplyDelete