Sunday, January 13, 2013

Walk in the Pennypack

Who's this? My grandmother? Oh no! It's me, The Fearless Blogger.

As I wrote to my group this morning: A little foggy outside now? Don't let that stop you from going on a nature walk... and taking photographs, if you wish.

As a person w diabetes, I brot Glucose Tabs in my pocket. Blood sugar when leaving home was 143. After walking an hour it was 112. Normal is 80 to 120.

What beautiful things we saw:

A tree with a mind of its own.

When 2-yo Grace visited Bubby yesterday, we went on a nature walk behind the house and up toward the high school. I showed her Moss, which she was not familiar with. She found many mounds of moss. I had her bend down and feel how soft it was.

Hard to see but numerous trees had fallen, probably due to Hurricane Sandy. Life goes by so fast we've already forgotten about it.

Carol, I said, I didn't know you walked your dog along the Creek Trail of Pennypack.

Oh, I've been coming here for years, she said. Presley is a hound dog and absolutely gorgeous. Carol works at the library. Like me she was bundled up as it was deceptively warm but the dampness got to you. Lemme check my outdoor thermometer:  50.

Cowbell Road dogwalkers Tony and Carolyn and Bailey. I told em to goggle Ruth Deming and they'd find out more about me than they wanted to know.

They remembered Scott's late dog Spanky, the runt of the litter who fit in the palm of his hand. Did I mention that at SEPTA a tiny tabby kitten followed him into the carhouse and the workers adopted him? They named him Seymour. Perhaps he'll be their therapy cat.

 Horses came thru here. I told Rob this morning I'm only reading 3 books. One of them is War Horse, which the play is based on. It's a YA book. (Young adult). Rob, please email me the name of the book you're reading. Sounds good!

Believe it or not, Ripley, this soft beige patch is a fungus or lichen. I said to Scott, maybe it can be made into an antirejection med. They're all made from fungi! Here's my tacrolimus.

I told pharmacist Bobby Matza that he's in my kidney memoir. He freaked out.


Life forms don't wait too long to colonize. Hmmm, I wonder how my bacteria are doing all over my body.
Fallen trees are everywhere, David Robertson! He's the director of Pennypack. Signs are posted about a private hunt next weekend. It this were the short story The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, they'd be hunting you and me.
Rotten to the core. A perfect place for the elves to live.
He didn't need no hat. I told Scott about watching entire movies on YouTube and he watched a film noir he'd never heard of. Last nite I watched the wonderful Pygmalion, based on the Bernard Shaw play, starring Leslie Howard as Prof Higgins and Wendy Hiller debuting as Eliza Doolittle. Fab! Fab! Fab!
How great it would be, I said to Scott, to have this in my yard and sit on it. You'd need a forklift, he said, to bring it home. He estimated there were over 100 rings on it. We all have to go some day. Woody Allen wrote a funny column in today's Times about his fear of disease and dying.
Beautiful ruins on Pennypack Lane on the way to our trail.
I waded in with my eyes.

On the way home we returned books to the library. When we passed Manhattan Bagel I told Scott every time we pass by I eat a pumpernickel bagel with scallion cream cheese, just like I eat a couple of doughnuts at Weinrichs' Bakery.

Don't you do the same thing, Scott!

NO, he said.

4 comments:

  1. You turn everything into a chance to meet new people and connect. I think that is wonderful. So, did you stop at the bagel place or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good point, i don't even realize i do dis. no, i only eat these things w my eyes. but scott and i did go to our fave italian rest. tonite, his folks gave us a gift certificate. i ordered a new thing... eggplant rotolini. scrumptious! better than eggplant parm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run along this trail. It's a great place to be in all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. indeed! but isn't it far from home for you?

    ReplyDelete