Thursday, January 24, 2013

I finally boogie with Jacques Pepin - my Scallop dish

Just my opinion, but I find Jacques incredibly sexy! In fact, I'd say most of the male chefs on the cooking shows on PBS are inrresistibly attractive. Jacques, born in 1935, is 10 years older than me, so, happily, we'll grow old together.

Here's the great Chinese chef...


Ming Tsai, born 1965


Rick Bayless, Mexican cuisine

The same is true with orchestra conductors, such as


Seiji Ozawa, who, according to Wiki, became famous not only for his conducting mannerisms, but also his sartorial style: he wore the traditional formal dress with a white turtleneck rather than the usual starched shirt, waistcoat, and white tie.

Born in 1935, he has major health problems today. 

Here's the scallop dish I made with Pepin's help. I was bicycling while watching him but knew I wanted to try this unusual recipe.

I bought 5-6 scallops at the Giant this afternoon, after our morning meeting. Debbie, the fish monger, told me to saute them just until they were tender or else they'd get hard.

I cut them in half and also sauteed my crimini mushrooms and a segment of a shallot, which you'll see on the right. Its pungent smell is like a combination of garlic and onion. I forgot to add the red-wine vinegar.

I also had steamed buttered brussels sprouts and 6 rice crackers as my starch. Mary Ann Moylen is my nutrition boss.

Am getting excited about our next Compass mag.

Carl Yeager, who we profiled years ago, will once again do the back cover as well as have one or two of his digitally enhanced photos inside.

Carl Yeager
Just cribbed this off FB. Hard to see. I'm guessing he's at a recent art show at Moss Rehab.

Okay, you have a good night. I've got an hour worth of writing to go before hitting the books.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE scallops. Looking forward to your next Compass also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. altho they're $16 a pound here, when i bot my small one-person serving it came to $4 which was not bad. and for sure the meal i made with it was as good as any restaurant around here. i made it w/ whole wheat spag.

    ReplyDelete