Friday, November 2, 2012

Our library to the rescue - Con Ed trucks drive in from NY

Altho our three-day power outage is over, I still don't have Internet. So I'm sitting here in the Upper Moreland Library in my pajama bottoms - no one can tell - in the huge community room all by myself.

For music, I have a selection of YouTube videos I listen to - I chose Glenn Gould's hour-long performance of Goldberg Variations - I first discovered these at Goddard College. I minored in piano and sadly I haven't touched the piano since then. We did have great volleyball games I loved.

What have you retained from your college years?


First order of biz at the library was to update the New Directions' calendar. This tedious task could be made easier if the Wordpress website I use had features such as:  Copy this post.

See, when I send out email updates to my group via AWeber.com, they offer this feature. If they'd listen to me, I'd tell them a few other things that would be helpful.

I feel an immense sense of freedom right now. I've got the whole room to myself, I can link any website I please, and I can tell you anything I wish or withhold information.

I just love pretty pictures, don't you? Lemme choose one for the both of us.

We'll both be surprised.


I went straight to the NY Times. This bowl is being exhibited somewhere.

BUT, the Upper Moreland Library would not allow me to visit one particular website I wanted to go on.

They would, however, let me go to the Bahamas and escape in one of these kayaks.

The digital NY Times costs $15 per month. I'm a subscriber. They let you read 10 free articles a month and no more.

But during Harrycane Sandy, they have unlimited access.  Good decision, Ms. Abramson.

I did get on Facebook. My dtr/law Nicole Deming apparently had an ultrasound this morning and found out for certain she's having a boy. She will post pictures later.

Do you believe this?

After I lobbied with them to remember Dan's late father, whom I happily divorced for bad behavior, they're gonna name the young fellow Max Grove Deming.

The dad's full name was Millard Grove Deming.

I have a photo of the two of us during the early days on a glass table at home, wedged between the glass. It makes me very sad to view it.

Millard Grove Deming (1946-2009). This photo was in the Ardmore, OK newspaper.

He died from complications of knee surgery.



 Coming home last nite I saw a flotilla of three Con Ed trucks that came in from NY. The buildings in the background are part of Galbally Garden Nursery.

Terwood Road is now open. You, of course, have never heard of Terwood Road, or Marlindale or Loretta Court or even Cowbell Road.

I've always wondered: are there any streets that are unique to a city and no one else has them?

Lemme quick goggle Cowbell Road.

There's one in England and a New Orleans restaurant called Cowbell. I think there's a rock band called Cowbell but I don't give a good g'dam.

See how much leisure time I have at the library? My back is absolutely killing me, tho. A nice guy is on the phone in this room. He's on Percodans for kidneystones. He spent 7 hrs in the ER last nite.

I too am fighting complications of my kidney transplant. Nurse Kathy returned my call and chewed me out for taking amoxicillan on my own.

I just can't stand by and do nothing, tho.


Glenn Gould (1932 – 1982). In October his 80th b'day was celebrated. The child prodigy died at 50 of a massive stroke.

Here's a wonderful quote by the Canadian pianist, who was first taught the piano by his mother:
The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but is, rather, the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity.

State of wonder and serenity.

I'll take it!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I will also take that state of wonder and serenity!

    I retain so many memories from those college years, though my yrs ended up being stretched out a lot and not at one place!! The Goddard memories are the best too. You were the one who turned me to the G.G. Goldberg Variations and I so remember you playing volleyball. I hated playing it in high school. We used to be forced to play "sit volleyball", a less strenous version for menstruating young women. Can you imagine anything like that happening now? Not on your life!

    Hope your complications disappear but also hope you will be really careful. I know you don't want to do anything to compromise that wonderful gift of your kidney, but I can understand your not being able to sit and do nothing. I am that way also.

    So am confused about the Con Ed trucks. They came from NY to help Philly area? Seems like musical electrical workers. I should think NY and NJ have the greatest need right now. Am I misunderstanding something?

    Great news about Baby Grace having a little brother and his being named after Mike/Millard. I do remember visits with you and with him. You are quickly catching up to me in the grandchildren dept, though I have twice as many kids. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS for some reason when I use my google id my posts seems to get through a lot more easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sit volleyball! mon dieu! glad i turned you onto glenn gould. btw, i'm still in touch with jonathan katz from goddard on FB. praps you are too. anyway when i came home from donna's this morning i found my internet WAS UP AND RUNNING! then i called a republican friend of mine and gave her a spiel about voting for obama. also mailed her the times' editorial endorsement.

    thanks again for reading my blogs....now i've gotta work on writing something for my writer's group today at 1:30!

    ReplyDelete