Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Kidney Klink - Dr M

How embarrassing is it to admit I don't know how to use an umbrella? Nonetheless, I had a collapsible one in the back and used it in the driving rain after I parked the furthest away from the hospital ever.

Then, of course, when I got inside the Klein Building I had to figger out how to close and secure the darn thing.

Success.

Waited quite a while to be seen. Fortunately I had my book club book with me

It's so good I read it in silence before bed, the better to concentrate on her beautiful prose.                                                       


Finally, Shedley calls me into the back. Never having met Shedley, I guessed she was from Haiti, which is correct. "Things are getting better there," she said.

First, a 'fellow' entered the examining room, a 30-ish dark-skinned man from southern India, well-dressed, very hairy, and wearing a wedding ring.

Dr M has been at Einstein for two months. I am the first live-donor transplant he has ever met. He told me he had just seen a man who's had a deceased-donor transplant since 1995, that's 17 years, and he's still doing well tho his 'numbers' are a little bit high.

When Dr M came in, I jumped up on the tissue-paper examining table.

"Open your mouth and stick out your tongue, Sweetie," he said.

So! The Indians use the affectionate term "sweetie," including my own Raj at Dunkin Donuts.

This entire notebook is my kidney chart.

I told Dr M that Kung was an excellent doctor.

"I wanna be as good as he is," said Dr M.

Meanwhile, he asked to see my incision and mumbled what a nice job it was. He wants to practice in the Midwest where his sister lives.

He asked how my daughter is doing. "Great!" I said, "but I never see her. She lives in Brooklyn."

"Well, that's close," he said. "Not as far as India."

I asked what journals he would read to become a good nephrologist.

"It's not the reading," he said. "It's learning by watching what Dr Kung does and talking to him about the patients."
                                                    

 Here's Dr Kung from a previous visit.

I'm weaning off my Prednisone. He told me I'm taking barely any and he couldn't take me off it b/c I can't just be on one antirejection med - Prograf or tacrolimus.

Imagine my disappointment!

RING RING RING

Just answered the phone. It was a woman from the Democratic National Convention, I think. The phone rang three times when I answered it and she was just finishing sipping on her drink.

Here's how I got rid of her: "I donated to Obama and I don't like my phone calls recorded. I'm hanging up now and have a good day."

After Kidney Clink, I wanted to make a 1:30 movie at my library.

The Neverending Story.

First of all, the movie was terrible. I don't mind kids' movies if they're good. Second of all, the place was filled with noisy kids. Adam the librarian kept bringing in popcorn and beverages and the kids were mostly interested in the refreshments.

Three adult women came together.

When one of the women went up for her second bowl of popcorn, her cellphone went off at her seat. It was actually humorous.

Once you sit down and are comfortable, it's so hard dragging yourself outa there, but some kids were exiting, so I just followed them.

So what dyou think of running mate Paul Ryan? People on Medicare like myself must be sure they know of his plans to dismantle it and go for a voucher system where I'll bet pre-existing conditions won't be covered. Read more on Huff Post.

How can any oldster have no pre-existings by the time they made it to their mid-sixties?

Other than my 90-yo mother that is.

Social Security and Medicare are the single best things the government has done for me.

                          






No comments:

Post a Comment