Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Ada's Pool Party - Grace's Second B'day Party - Breast reconstruction

I was envious of the swimmers but I didn't bring my bathing suit. Why? B/c of the enormous hassle of changing and taking out my contact lenses.

So I sat around the table and talked. And ate. And ate.

Ada is always a great host. I'm using the word 'host' rathan 'hostess' the way that 'actor' has supplanted 'actress.'

We managed to fit about a dozen people around the table.

The almond cookies were superb. I stuck to the watermelon chunks so I wouldn't have to move and reach for the honeydew on the other side. Where there's watermelon, nothing else exists for me. The perfect food.

I had quite a collection of little toothpicks with tassels on top.

This lovely dead insect is a hornet. All the more lovely since it's dead.

From the Internet, you can view its lovely face and eyes. You know, if evolution had gone another way, we all might look like hornets and think people looked very creepy. Wiki says that hornets are a form of wasp.

Wherever the Fleishers have lived, they've always had a pool b/c Ada loves to swim. Rich never swims. Why? He doesn't enjoy it.

These are the breasts of our friend Chris. One of them is not real and has no feeling. Years ago she had breast cancer and a total mastectomy.

She discovered the plastic surgeon Brian Buinewicz MD who practices in Buckingham and other local venues.  He did a breast reconstruction pro bono since Chris has no insurance.

Dr B from his website.
Dr. Brian R. Buinewicz brings over 18 years of plastic  surgery experience to Le MedSpa. He performs a variety of cosmetic procedures, including facelifts, brow lifts, midface lifts, lateral brow lifts, blepharoplasty, neck lifts, abdominoplasty, breast augmentation, liposculpture, rhinoplasty, breast lifts, and breast reductions.  Dr. Buinewicz also specializes in complex reconstructive procedures of the breast, abdomen and cancer reconstruction.

 Chris spent 3 days in the hospital. Dr B used the muscles on her back which he injected with something to stretch the skin. Then he used some type of filler to form a real-looking breast and tattooed on the nipple.

Where no breast was, a new breast has been fashioned. The plastic surgeon made sure both breasts are symmetrical.

Help yourself to Ada's home-made chocolate chip cookies and brownies whose flavor is enhanced by chocolate chips. Ada got the recipe from America's Test Kitchen, with host Chris Kimball. I watch him when I ride my stationery bike.

She uses the following chocolate:

and


By showing you pictures, I don't have to type up their difficult-to-spell names.

Ah, here's Ron Abrams, personal injury attorney, who told an interesting story about a client he represented who had prostate cancer. When caught in time, it's one of the cancers that can be successfully treated. His client, however, was given a clean bill of health by his physician who made a lethal mistake in the radiology report. The cancer spread and he died a painful death before he could testify. The family settled.

When it began thundering outside, Rich wisely asked us get out of the pool. Ron and I went upstairs to get changed.

I ended up going swimming in my clothes. Luckily I didn't wear a dress. Gee, I wonder how that would feel. Swimming is my favorite exercise. Ada, the perfect host, dried my clothes in the dryer and lent me a beautiful robe.

Anne, behind me, was also in the pool. Anne is an amazing hiker. Below is a better view of her.

I was so happy to see her. I picked her and Chris up and drove them thru the intricate backroads to Ada's.

Here is our indoor food including pizza from Angelo's, which is where I got the pizza for my mom's 90th birthday party. On the top left is Ada's poppyseed cake.

I admire Karen's curly white hair. Some people can go white and look terrific, like Karen. Her T-shirt has a significance known only to Phillies fans. On the back it says the name of a player who was recently traded. Who? Mickey Mantle? Ted Williams? Carl Ystremski?

I had no idea Ed Lakata could sing and play! He managed both the harmonica and guitar and played songs like the Beatles' "There's a Place." He sings at family picnics and I believe I heard him say he also plays at retirement homes.

Very talented!

Speaking of songs, Chris recommends we listen to Eva Cassady's Over the Rainbow. Lots of us, including myself, spend time listening to our favorite tunes on YouTube.

By now it was 5 pm and I was expected at Grace's party at 5:30, so I drove Chris and Anne to our meeting place in an incredible downpour.

wipers going fast fast fast

puddles going splash splash splash

Here's Grace with her ice-cream cupcakes from Coldstone Creamery. I asked her if I could have a taste of her ice cream and she let me spoon a scrumptious bite into my mouth.

No way I could eat anything more. Before I sat at table with them, I went into the basement and rode the elliptical machine for 10 minutes.

This person with diabetes had a week's worth of sugar.

Grace opened many presents in my presence including a veteranian kit complete with stethoscope and needle to inject pets.

This morning I got a tetanus shot, which also comes with a pertussis shot, at the request of my new family doctor, Barry Cooper, who is also Rich Fleisher's doctor. Lemme know if you're interested in why I switched from my favorite doctor ever.....Jim Foxhall.

She liked the gift I got her - a blond-haired doll with a toy bear attached to her and a blue star which you hang on the wall.

She likes her little pink chair, turned on its side, but doesn't allow Daddy to share it with her.

"No, Daddy, my chair."

Chairman of the board.                                              

Dan, how do I get rid of all this white space below? Do tell!                                                                                                  










                                              






No comments:

Post a Comment