Sunday, August 26, 2012

A perfect day at Lake Galena, except...

Approaching Lake Galena in Bucks County PA


Here's the man-made lake in the distance. From Wiki:
Lake Galena in its current form was created when the county (Bucks) flooded the lake in 1972. Before that time, much of the lakebed had been part of the village of Leven, the economy of which was based largely on lead ore (galena) mining[2].
We approach the boat house. We plan on riding one of the paddleboats - your power is your cycling feet - but learn that the boat house is closed today. Lack of manpower, as most of the staff are college students returning to college.

Undaunted, we walk around the lake, which in toto is 6 miles. I check my blood sugar constantly. And always carry one of those horrid granola-like bars in my pocket. Gimme a Snickers any ole time. My sugar was 195, quite high, but that was good b/c I didn't need to worry about going low.

The clear cool water of Lake Galena. You can see the rocks below.

This lovely young couple live in Doylestown. Their b'ful dogs, who look like mini-German shepherds but are not, are named Zelda and Elkin.


Zelda can't wait to get wet!

She was not the only dog we saw in the water.




Our picnic lunch consisted of egg salad, rice crackers, peaches, and blueberries, and ice-cold water from a Thermos. Let's see if Thermos is still in biz. 

Before lunch, I took my sugar again. Scott and I had walked for over half an hour. From 195 it had dropped to a normal 93.

We ate near the boat house. I wanted to see the water. Two bikers stopped by.

The sad thing about eating at the boat house today was hearing the disappointment of all the people who couldn't rent boats. These three kids consoled themselves by skipping rocks.

What you can't see in these two photos that Scott took is a HUGE WATER BIRD in the tree. I didn't even see him, but Scott saw him move.

Queen Anne's Lace shares space with clover and tiny yellow wildflowers. Grace? What color are the wildflowers? Yellow, Bubby!

I'm gonna try and see her this afternoon. Her use of language is extraordinary. She repeats everything you say, in an attempt to learn.

Look how these grasses pushed themselves right up thru the rocks! Ain't nature amazing?

Who dyou suppose made this tee-pee?

By the time we left, Lake Galena was quite crowded. The reason I took this photo is b/c a very sexy man was pulling in his boat. You can't even see him! He was telling his buddy that his daughter and her BF were up in Minnesota. Sound travels.

Do I really wanna clutter up my blog with houses I don't consider absolutely gorgeous? The purpose was to show how built up Bucks County is. There's barely any wild acreage left.


This house, however, deserves a place. Why? Because it is so odd. Look at the flat roof. The stone. Who lives there? It's on Byberry Road, 10 minutes away.

And now, if you'll excuse me, it's GRACE-TIME!











3 comments:

  1. You seem to have so many fun and relaxing days. I think that is one of the secrets of your success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and then there are days like yesterday when i spent 6 hours finding information and loading much of it on my website. i'll send you an email now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing them. I often took my children to Lake Galena when they were little. Have you seen this blog?
    http://thepennsylvaniarambler.blogspot.com/
    His rambles are really nice and I love reading about them. I wonder if you would consider adding the gadget that allows someone to follow your blog via email subscription? I think it is the fifth gadget down and it makes it so easy to follow someone's blog when new posts come right to your inbox. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete